Battery Problems please help!!!!

-

Winkler71

Reaction score
I have a 71 scamp and its having battery problems. Ive replaced the battery and starter more than once. I also replaced the ultinater and voltage regulator. I have to put it on a charger every night so it will start in the morning. It turns over really slow and it doesn't start the first couple of times then the battery goes dead and i have to get a jump. I disconected the radio. the headlights dim when i hit the brakes running. running two things at once is imposible. Any suggestions wood be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Have someone do a load test on the battery, they can die at any point (internally short out) and wont take a charge.

Since you've replaced the battery and starter, I'd also start looking at other issues with the electrical system. It could be ungrounded, causing a slow dissipation trickle. You could also have a defective accessory or light fixture, basically anything that would be putting a constant drain on the electrical system.

I'm a sucker for punishment, so I'd just start tracing every lead and make sure it's properly connected and where applicable, grounded. I'd also disconnect any A/C or heater system, radio, etc, to see if that cures the drain.

when its running, what does the gauge do? is it piont or electronic ignition? does your harness look like its been hacked into?both under hood and under dash.there are so many things to check.let us know.

There is no easy answer for your question. Could be something like trunk or glovebox light always on.
Part stores can check a lot of the charging system and components. Rule out the common stuff like battery and voltage regulator first then anything you've added like amplifiers and sterios, then start looking for those flaws that come with age like amp gauge, bulkhead connections, etc...
On a comical note "I've bought 2 batteries and 2 starters. I've owned the car 19 years. " LOL Good luck

the needle down from the middle then to the left when i push in on the brake. then it goes back to the middle

check your'e brake/tail light harness in the trunk.it may be shorted out or together.but you are gonna have to find the short. i've see the turn signal switch being worn out do this too.because of the turn signal brake light cancell switch is in there too. i've seen the wiring harness in the column rub through also.like redfish said, rule out the easily accessible stuff first.but the brake light is a clue. if the gauge is going to discharge when you hit the pedal.chances are pretty good the problem is in that system. good luck and keep us posted.

When you apply the brakes or turn on the lights and ammeter needle goes from straight up and down to the left (discharge) and never goes to the right, the battery is not getting charged !! Could be in the wiring.

If it is going to the left from center as soon as you put your foot on the pedal you are not charging. Make sure you have a good ground cable between the engine and battery. Also try the firewall connection. This is a common area for corrosion so I am told. You might have to replace the connectors. Go to this site and check for your wiring diagram
http://www.mymopar.com/72to76_wiring.htm

-
Back