Battery Question

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
I am scraping Good UPS batteries at my work and being that cheap pr%ck that I am ,I was wondering if it would be safe to use in my car and boat.

207.jpg

394.PNG

Battery 1.jpg

Battery 2.jpg

Go to Battery University Homepage

and read up about the charging characteristics of lead acid automotive vs other types of batteries

your UPS batteries MIGHT be compatible OR they MIGHT not!

plus their internals might not be setup for the vibrations and impacts that an automotive battery receives.

If it was me I would bring them to a scrapper and then buy a new auto battery with the funds.

^^I agree they may or may not. Generally such batteries are akin to deep cycle use and not starting use. AKA slower, lower amperage discharge vs hi amp

I would love to. They scrapped the (functional)UPS that they go to as well. If I new I was staying where I'm at I would install it for outages. But hope to move down to NC. in a couple of more years.

Very common, preventive maintenance. We did that with the remote radio site batteries
We used to do the same but it was called predictive maintenance

If a water heater typically lasts 5 years without failure. We would replace it at 4.5 years. Planned down time vs. emergency down time.

UPS keeps very accurate fleet records for many years. They change batteries, clutches and other parts before they fail. You hardly ever see a UPS truck broke down on the road. Also with batteries with multiple batteries hooked together you should change them all when one fails or you will be chasing batteries forever.

That's kind of my point. If UPS thinks they at the end of their useful/reliable life, why would you want to mess with one? I wouldn't want to break down with my classic car or daily driver away from home either.

UPS keeps very accurate fleet records for many years. They change batteries, clutches and other parts before they fail. You hardly ever see a UPS truck broke down on the road. Also with batteries with multiple batteries hooked together you should change them all when one fails or you will be chasing batteries forever.
Not the courier company... battery backups....

These batteries are only a few years old. They scrapped the whole system for a larger Unit. Corporate waste. We tried to get a company to make offer with no success, so I removed batteries and scrapped.

I am scraping Good UPS batteries at my work and being that cheap pr%ck that I am ,I was wondering if it would be safe to use in my car and boat.

View attachment 1716100338

View attachment 1716100340

View attachment 1716100341

View attachment 1716100342
They would be great for a home solar project! Automotive batteries generally have thicker plates to deal with the heavy starting loads where these batteries have thinner plates, and more of them to deal with longer reserve time. A charge controller, nice inverter, and some solar panels would not cost a ton, but could be a nice power addition to your garage!

Yeah but I'm in Limbo right now (No home) Moved in to take care of my Dad and Mom a few months ago. My Dad passed last month at 94. Mom is still kicking at 93. Someday hope to have a home and garage again in NC.. Right now, my wife and 2 kids are basement dwellers lol. She is not happy about it.

-
Back