battery suggestions?

-

1mean7Ddart

Reaction score
my second optima just took a dump on me :banghead: any suggestions would be nice, im thinking diehard! yes no!?!?

Odyssey has good batteries, rather expensive, but Sears Platinum DieHards are manufactured by Odyssey and relabeled for Sears. They go on sale periodically, regular and Marine versions, but are less expensive even at the regular price.

Odyssey has good batteries, rather expensive, but Sears Platinum DieHards are manufactured by Odyssey and relabeled for Sears. They go on sale periodically, regular and Marine versions, but are less expensive even at the regular price.

cool thats the one i was looking at plus it has 4 year warranty

I have an Odyssey, 3/4 size on a normal battery. Cost me 175 bucks and well spent, they are combos of regular and deep cycle and use virgin metals compared to many others who use recycled metal...

It's your choice of how good or bad a part you want for your car......

Group 24 Costco Kirkland. Cheap,light,good battery. Great replacement warranty. Take the stickers off and go.

I use Autozone Gold, since a better warranty. If you like the Optima gel no-spill concept, Autozone's Platinum AGM batteries are gel.
There are only ~3 battery manufacturers, sold under ~50 brand names.

How often do you drive it, how long does it sit , between starts?

What color optima did you have go bad. Ive had a yellow for 6 years now no trouble with it. I would buy another, no acid for me.

3 years ago, Very best Advance auto offered was regularly priced at 215.00 During a sale and with online coupon code I picked it up in the store for like 138.00 Yeah that's still a lot for a battery IMO. No problem yet, except the fact that it weighs a ton.
Definitely not one to move from car to car often.

My red-top dry-cell is 14 years old.Best value EVER on a battery!And it sits for 6 months of the year,Frozen at up to -35*F.Still starts the car in spring.And to think how scared I was to spend all that cash on a dry-cell!

I have never had a red top Optima last less than 8 years.....

Group 24 Costco Kirkland. Cheap,light,good battery. Great replacement warranty. Take the stickers off and go.

Do you have the GROUP number (i.e. 4-5-or-6?) that Costco uses these batteries?

Looking at the Kirkland book that lists all the batteries by car manufacturer, the A bodies from the 1969 - 72 era were not listed.

I'm ready to buy a Kirkland - Costco battery this week - IF - I can determine the correct GROUP number that will fit properly.

BTW my car is a factory 1971 Duster 340...

Thanks in advance ....

P.S. -- A friend mentioned that some of the Costco Tire Centers are now selling Interstate batteries direct to members.

Do you have the GROUP number (i.e. 4-5-or-6?) that Costco uses these batteries?

Looking at the Kirkland book that lists all the batteries by car manufacturer, the A bodies from the 1969 - 72 era were not listed.

I'm ready to buy a Kirkland - Costco battery this week - IF - I can determine the correct GROUP number that will fit properly.

BTW my car is a factory 1971 Duster 340...

Thanks in advance ....

P.S. -- A friend mentioned that some of the Costco Tire Centers are now selling Interstate batteries direct to members.

Dont waste your time with the book. We are not there targeted market.

Group 24 with the posts in the correct configuration is all you need.
Bring in your old battery for the core charge.

PS: Johnson Controls makes close to half of the batteries in the US, including Costco batteries, and you guessed it, Interstate batteries.

Edit: Looked it up. Its either the 3 or the 6.

I recommend the biggest baddest Diehard you can get in your car. I put one in my car in 2000 and always maintained it on a battery maintainer and NEVER had an issue with it. I replaced it with an Optima in 2012 ( even though it wasn't giving me any problems). The Optima NEVER cranked the car as well and sometimes even went close to dead when cranking the engine over when hot. After 2 years, I learned my lesson and replaced it with a BIG Diehard platinum, no problems now!

I have a red top optima thats on a battery tender plus whenever its not being driven for five plus years, never had a problem. Why does a battery tender destroy them?

Jeff

I am an audio guy so I like my batteries powerful and badass.
I use Kinetik, XS Power or Shuriken for all of my cars. They are all AGM and have ridiculous power for their size.

Regardless of what battery you buy (I prefer Interstate as a great lead acid battery), please buy a proper battery tender if you store your car during the winter. I have a CTEK 3300 which has been an incredible battery-saving device for the winter months. Don't buy a cheapie trickle charger! A proper battery tender is a must!

My Optima red top failed me last summer after five years, but it sounds like I may have killed it by maintaining with a Battery Tender trickle charger every winter. I'm looking for a replacement that will fit in this battery box from Summit. I want to be able to listen to my stereo at a show for a couple of hours and not have to worry about starting up a 500 horse engine when it's time to go?!?

FWIW, I've always used a 10 amp automatic taper charger at the race track and also at home. My race car has a 50 amp alternator, as the rules require, but I charge the battery between rounds to keep it topped off. Besides the usual ignition and lighting, it has an electric fuel pump as well as electric fans and water pump that are run between rounds to help cool it. (I don't use a "manual" battery charger because it can overcharge a battery if left on too long.)

At home, I use the charger to charge the race car to top it off after the races and the battery in the trailer, as well as the dual battery dually truck if they sit a month or more. I never had a premature death of an Optima. I've had the Sears Platinum DieHard/Odyssey batteries in the car and truck for only a few years so far.

Iam still using the yellow but if it fails I will go blue. Ive never heard much good about the optima red batteries.

-
Back