Battery tray and paint?

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
Bought a repro battery tray, and from the drcription it is coated with EPDM, what the heck is that, does it need to be painted, or would powder coat be a good alternative. I can get powder coat done at work(they only use a limited amount of colors)for I think $10. I realize I would need to take it down to bare metal.
Thanks

basically its a rubberized coating that acid won't harm. don't powder coat it, simply paint it or leave it natual

Curious here 66plyValiant, but why not blast and powder coat it? I've done several of them for personal and customer use and they hold up fine. Even the 1964 model on Billy's old Ford tractor is coated.

Bought a repro battery tray, and from the drcription it is coated with EPDM, what the heck is that, does it need to be painted, or would powder coat be a good alternative. I can get powder coat done at work(they only use a limited amount of colors)for I think $10. I realize I would need to take it down to bare metal.
Thanks

EPDM is primer, so it definately should be painted or powdercoated. Powdercoating would hold up the best if properly prepped.
Dallas

Curious here 66plyValiant, but why not blast and powder coat it? I've done several of them for personal and customer use and they hold up fine. Even the 1964 model on Billy's old Ford tractor is coated.

sorry read the EPDM wrong; it is just primer I though it was another product that they used back in the day

Okay, no problem. For what it's worth, most people don't know that powder coating has been around for nearly fifty years now. Granted, it only used to be available in a couple colors .... :-D What was it you were thinking of that was better?

I clear coated mine. I had some clear left over in the gun and sprayed it. it ended up getting 5 good coats on it. Should help it hold up a little longer.

It looks like I may need to do a little surgeryto the battery tray, to fit the patch job that the body shop did. So probably will have it powder coated. Luckily I can have it welded at work for about the cost of a soda, and powder coated for I think $10, may bundle some other parts to get my $10.00 worth.

Be sure they use a tig instead of a mig welder if you can. If they're only charging you ten bucks for that and the rest of your bundled parts (!!!), I seriously doubt if they're going to outgas it first. That won't even cover the oven time.

-
Back