Battleship New Jersey returns!

-

gliderider06

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
BB-62 returned today from dry dock and was there for her return festivities. Here are a few pictures I took today.
20240620_141036.jpg
20240620_130502.jpg
20240620_130337.jpg
20240620_130215.jpg
20240620_131150.jpg
20240620_132804.jpg
20240620_140347.jpg
20240620_140329.jpg
20240620_140732.jpg

I worked in an Army machine shop at Crane Naval Weapons Depot at Crane Indiana for 3-years while I was going to college.

While I was there they scraped all the tooling from the Tool Room for the 16" projectiles used on the big battle ship guns.

They also scraped a lathe that had 100 foot center. Yes 100 foot center It almost made me cry watching them cut it up in little pieces.

Smart bombs are so much more accurate and easier to deliver. I love the old battle ships but we won't see them back in service again.

Tom

I worked in an Army machine shop at Crane Naval Weapons Depot at Crane Indiana for 3-years while I was going to college.

While I was there they scraped all the tooling from the Tool Room for the 16" projectiles used on the big battle ship guns.

They also scraped a lathe that had 100 foot center. Yes 100 foot center It almost made me cry watching them cut it up in little pieces.

Smart bombs are so much more accurate and easier to deliver. I love the old battle ships but we won't see them back in service again.

Tom
I agree, probably not. But we can dream, right? lol

Tom
That’s a very small world… I work there now

I agree, probably not. But we can dream, right? lol
The sheer cost to do it will keep it from ever happening. The USS Missouri is the one in the closest condition to being able to be re-activated but even then, it’ll be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Then there’s the question of restarting the munitions for them. That powder hasn’t been made in over 5 decades.

They should recommission them all.
I agree. However, the days of naval gun battles are over. That ended in WWII. I feel all it will do in today's world is just make them a target for other countries like the Bismarck, Tirpitz and Yamato were during that time period.
The Iowas speed and range would keep up with today's task forces and the 16" rifles would definitely put fear into anyone on the receiving end of them.
Pipe dream though...

I agree. However, the days of naval gun battles are over. That ended in WWII. I feel all it will do in today's world is just make them a target for other countries like the Bismarck, Tirpitz and Yamato were during that time period.
The Iowas speed and range would keep up with today's task forces and the 16" rifles would definitely put fear into anyone on the receiving end of them.
Pipe dream though...

01-uss-iowa-broadside-us-navy (1).jpg

Gives you pride when you see these monsters, and know they defended ours, and others freedom. They should keep as many afloat as possible. :usflag: We have battleships, USS Sullivan and Little Rock, and USS Croaker, a submarine here.

naval-military-park.jpg

Last edited:
The sheer cost to do it will keep it from ever happening. The USS Missouri is the one in the closest condition to being able to be re-activated but even then, it’ll be in the hundreds of millions of dollars. Then there’s the question of restarting the munitions for them. That powder hasn’t been made in over 5 decades.
Well, we need to waste money on somethin, dammit. lol

-
Back