BB Bellhousing

-

Max Max Wedge

Reaction score
I've been looking for a bell housing for the 383 that I'm putting in my 69 Swinger 4spd. I see most of them are $300+, I was wondering how the Quicktime bellhousing would fit. I am planning on doing a hyd. clutch & Schumacher headers. I would appreciate any feedback before I pull the trigger on a bellhousing.

I've been looking for a bell housing for the 383 that I'm putting in my 69 Swinger 4spd. I see most of them are $300+, I was wondering how the Quicktime bellhousing would fit. I am planning on doing a hyd. clutch & Schumacher headers. I would appreciate any feedback before I pull the trigger on a bellhousing.

I can'r help you out with your question, But Have you tried Brewers performance? They were a big help to me. I didn't buy my bell t6hrough them, but I did buy other parts and found them helpfull.

are you using motor mounts or motor plate?
and fenderwells, or underchassi?

Phil

I can'r help you out with your question, But Have you tried Brewers performance? They were a big help to me. I didn't buy my bell t6hrough them, but I did buy other parts and found them helpfull.

are you using motor mounts or motor plate?
and fenderwells, or underchassi?

Phil

Shumacher mounts & Tri y headers.

Is there a specific reason you are wanting a Hyd clutch? More acurate?

My duster is a 440 4spd with underchassi headers. Mechanical clutch linkage bought through brewers.

got my BB bell from a member here for about $100 if I remember correctly.

Try putting a wanted add out in the parts wanted section.

Is there a specific reason you are wanting a Hyd clutch? More acurate?

you have to use a hyd clutch with schumachers , they are in the way of the Z bar , but I dod know a guy that made mechanical linkage work , but his car uses a stock smallblock spool type K and the engine sits further forward, he had to modify the bellhousing mount for the pivot point

you have to use a hyd clutch with schumachers , they are in the way of the Z bar , but I dod know a guy that made mechanical linkage work , but his car uses a stock smallblock spool type K and the engine sits further forward, he had to modify the bellhousing mount for the pivot point

You couldn't be more wrong, My 1970 duster 440 4spd has schumacher mounts, and I used mechanical linkage. Motor mounts are not in the way at all. The Tranny Z bar plate is an inch or so back and down with the BB bell, so you need a different plate, and Z bar. Nothing that couldn't be made up at home now that I know what I needed.

You are right that the stock SB linkage will not work, but you can buy a kit from Brewers as long as you are using one of 3 mopar bell housings. I don't know what I have against Hyd clutch, I just think its wrong. But thats my issue.

Phil

You couldn't be more wrong, My 1970 duster 440 4spd has schumacher mounts, and I used mechanical linkage. Motor mounts are not in the way at all. The Tranny Z bar plate is an inch or so back and down with the BB bell, so you need a different plate, and Z bar. Nothing that couldn't be made up at home now that I know what I needed.

You are right that the stock SB linkage will not work, but you can buy a kit from Brewers as long as you are using one of 3 mopar bell housings. I don't know what I have against Hyd clutch, I just think its wrong. But thats my issue.

Phil

I couldn't be more wrong ... that's a good one :toothy10: , go back and read the original post , the OP is using schumacher HEADERS , I, nor he, said anything about mounts .

Also the person I reference is using the schumacher HEADERS with a stock spool K and stock BB spool mounts and he had to modify the drivers side HEADER to clear the Z bar mounted in the stock location.

Add me to the list of not liking the hyd. clutch though , it's a BANDAID in many applications making up for incorrect motor placement .

I am using 1 3/4 TTI underchassis headers with a Brewers bigblock z-bar that I had to modify to make work. I am also using a Lakewood blowproof bellhousehouseing that I had to modify and narrow the side for clearance of my mechanical clutch linkage.Sorry I don't have any pictures to post.The old Ansen bellhouseing look like they would fit better.I would also check out the Quicktime bellhouseing I think the fit would be better.

My 67 Dart has a 440, 4-speed with lakewood bellhousing and Schumacher headers and mounts. I had my z-bar modified to fit around the header, you could also have the header modified to fit around the z-bar. Buying hydraulic would be the most expensive of the options. I have a complete hydraulic setup from McLeod and it wasn't cheap.

That's me! Thanks John for the reference. As far as the bellhousing, use the one designed for the 10-1/2" clutch(#513). Brewers does make an excellent reproduction at $299.
Here's some pics of the stock and modified Schu's. I didn't want the headers to capture the starter (like tti's).

Before:
schudr-1.jpg

After:
CollectorDR.jpg

I couldn't be more wrong ... that's a good one :toothy10: , go back and read the original post , the OP is using schumacher HEADERS , I, nor he, said anything about mounts .

Also the person I reference is using the schumacher HEADERS with a stock spool K and stock BB spool mounts and he had to modify the drivers side HEADER to clear the Z bar mounted in the stock location.

Add me to the list of not liking the hyd. clutch though , it's a BANDAID in many applications making up for incorrect motor placement .

Sorry, I ment to say headers. I automatically think mounts when someone says schumacher.

anyways....as other fabo members have posted...It can be done with Schumachers. Thats iall I was saying. And yes...you were wrong, you can use Mech linkage!!!!

;)

Sorry, I ment to say headers. I automatically think mounts when someone says schumacher.

anyways....as other fabo members have posted...It can be done with Schumachers. Thats iall I was saying. And yes...you were wrong, you can use Mech linkage!!!!

;)

The only place I'm wrong is in your demented world of :sleepy3:

-
Back