BB conversion questions

-

Hadahemi

Reaction score
So I'm getting pretty close to being able to do the 440 swap into my 72 Demon and have a few questions...Going to use a set of B body hi po exhaust manifolds and want to know if they will clear the inner fenders if they are installed on the engine during the swap, or will I need to set the engine and then deal with the manifolds? Will a stock trans dipstick tube work? What about the stock trans kickdown assembly, will it still fit? I'm using Schumacher mounts, 1977 440 with a 727. Any input would be great.

Check out my thread and I hope it will answer some of your questions...don't know about the stock exhaust manifolds...check out the tech pages on BigBlockDart.com to see if they still have the exhaust section....also give Michael Shumacher a call...he is a real nice guy and I think he runs those manifolds on his car...

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/...t=96239&page=1

Thanks for the info, your thread did help quite a bit (nice setup by the way), and I will call Schumacher...wondering why I didn't think of that! Thanks again.

The manifolds will clear, but there are a few things to keep in mind when building a big block a-body. Whether you put the engine in from the top or bottom, the steering column needs to be out of the car and if from the top have the master cylinder out, too. It also doesn't hurt to have the heater backed off the firewall so that the bloser motor in under the dash.

The factory three-piece kickdown will work. Bouchillon and Lokar also have cable kickdowns. The stock trans dipstick tube will fit, but it is tight.

The manifolds will clear, but there are a few things to keep in mind when building a big block a-body. Whether you put the engine in from the top or bottom, the steering column needs to be out of the car and if from the top have the master cylinder out, too. It also doesn't hurt to have the heater backed off the firewall so that the bloser motor in under the dash.

The factory three-piece kickdown will work. Bouchillon and Lokar also have cable kickdowns. The stock trans dipstick tube will fit, but it is tight.

You do not have to take the steering column or the master cylinder out, if you put the motor in without headers or manifold.

I think the heat riser on the manifold hits & has to be removed

You do not have to take the steering column or the master cylinder out, if you put the motor in without headers or manifold.
I have power steering and the box trashed the factory located dipstick the first time I lowered it...I had a small block three piece kickdown that did not work that's why I went with the Lokar throttle and kickdown....also be very wary about the column shift steering column...mine would not clear the Shumacher rear tube...it would have had to be dimpled in 1/4 or the bearing whould have to be relocated...also I bought a Bouchelon tranny dipstick from Mancini Racing and it fits fine, two to three inches away form anything....make sure you follow the procedures to level the motor....this is a quote from Michael Shumacher for the correct height and centering....8)

The height is measured from the centerline of the crank to the top of the K-member @ 5.25"
(+/- .188) this is .188. Side to side is approximately 2.75" offset toward the passenger side. Take a measurement from the driver side inner frame rail to the center of the crank - you should get 16.125". (+/- .125)

You'll NEVER get b-body manifolds around the steering column with it installed, whether they are on the engine on install or not. Well, maybe if you use bolts instead of the studs........... I always pull the column just to make more room for most any major repair or install on a big block A-body.

Thanks for all your input guys, I did talk to Michael Schumacher tonight...he suggested dealing with the manifolds after the engine is set. I already knew there would be some interference with the drivers side manifold and the steering column, so I planned on removing it before the install just to cut down on the frustration factor a little bit. What I wasn't aware of is potential interference with the passenger side manifold and the inner fender. Sooooo, what I was looking for was some insight as to how quick and easy this was going to be (or not) and now that I'm aware of the issues I'll plan the swap for a time when I have plenty of time to deal with this stuff. Any more suggestions? Keep 'em coming!!

Bremereric I should of said manual steering, anyway here is picture setting a 440 in an A-body with the steering column and master cylinder in the car.

engine.jpg

-
Back