BB K-member Weight OEM vs DC

-

67valiant 100

go fast or go home
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have a weight comparison of an original BB A-body K-frame complete with original style engine mounts vs a DC K-frame with spool mounts?

do you need the weight difference to calculate shipping or are you trying to figure out or cut weight off the car?

at any rate, the difference is negligible. like i'd be surprised if it was more than 2~3lb honestly

Cut weight off the nose while remaining relatively stockish looking.
yeah, i think your efforts would be best directed elsewhere.

i know the whole "ounces add up to pounds" but i don't think the juice is worth the squeeze in this situation.

It all adds up in the end.

100_0021 (3).JPG

100_0024 (2).JPG

100_0027 (2).JPG

100_0028 (2).JPG

yeah, i think your efforts would be best directed elsewhere.

i know the whole "ounces add up to pounds" but i don't think the juice is worth the squeeze in this situation.
I have access to both. Just don't have the mounts for the OEM BB k-frame & the DC k-frame is currently in another roller. I'm fairly confident the DC setup will be lighter.

Any weight off the nose of a BB stock appearing A-body is worth the effort.

I thought the DC K-frame was basically built from an OEM k-frame, or did I misunderstand the Jim Lusk video? If so they're going to weigh the same.

It all adds up in the end.
Just don't do it to an A12. This was after the un-****-ifying work had started. These guys had cut three holes in the rockers, cut all that structure out of the cowl, converted it to fixed rear windows (by bolting them in place). On and on.
IMG_0529.JPG

Let your conscience be your guide.

3StRQ0B.jpg

I thought the DC K-frame was basically built from an OEM k-frame, or did I misunderstand the Jim Lusk video? If so they're going to weigh the same.

this was my understanding as well. in fact i thought that the DC K was a stock unit that was modified and then further reinforced with additional metal. of the few i've seen, it didn't appear to have any significant weight savings or addition either way, at least to my calibrated hairy eyeball. oh, and the welds somehow looked even worse than a factory k.

anyway, resident expert @Jim Lusk would have the full scoop on them. with a tag, hopefully he chimes in.

The DC K-member is a modified small block K-member with a little more metal added that really wasn't necessary. BUT, the late K-member does have two large holes in the bottom that probably lighten it a bit. I have my '68 small block k-member out of the car and a stock '73-up k-member out of the car. If I think about it in the morning I could weight them.

As for lightening the front end, there is little that can be done short of cutting out lots of sheet metal, which still won't add up to much. I've got an inner fender up on the shelf, but I don't think it weighs that much. Fiberglass fenders, hood, bumper, and doors will do more. Many years ago my family stopped by Larry Gilley's place. He was trying to lighten his '68 340 S notch by drilling lots of 2" or so holes all over the front end. I don't think it was more than a pound.

Last edited:
To me there's alot of thick steel hanging on an OEM K-frame compared to the DC setup. But spool mounts are heavy too..

OEM:
Screenshot_20240801_175821_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20240801_175838_Gallery.jpg

DC k-frame:

Screenshot_20240801_180015_Chrome.jpg

As @Oldmanmopar said, it all adds up.

As a '69 Cuda clone I've already got a Dart Lite aluminum hood for it, going to have a light rotating assembly, 904 swap, etc..

If I had the funds I'd have someone fabric a stock looking K-frame out of aluminum lol.

unless it's a dedicated drag car i'd be reluctant to start removing metal off the K or trying to fab a K out of something lightweight. that's a critical component that the front suspension hangs off of, the steering mounts to and ties the frame side to side. without that rigidity, only the radiator cradle is stopping the flex up front.

Just don't do it to an A12. This was after the un-****-ifying work had started. These guys had cut three holes in the rockers, cut all that structure out of the cowl, converted it to fixed rear windows (by bolting them in place). On and on.
View attachment 1716283740

Let your conscience be your guide.

View attachment 1716283746
The rear 1/4 windows in my 66 Belvedere are fixed but not bolted......and the K frame is trimmed and solid welded. IIRC, it's 32 lbs instead of 40.
To me there's alot of thick steel hanging on an OEM K-frame compared to the DC setup. But spool mounts are heavy too..

OEM:
View attachment 1716283788

View attachment 1716283789

DC k-frame:

View attachment 1716283790

As @Oldmanmopar said, it all adds up.

As a '69 Cuda clone I've already got a Dart Lite aluminum hood for it, going to have a light rotating assembly, 904 swap, etc..

If I had the funds I'd have someone fabric a stock looking K-frame out of aluminum lol.
See my reply just above....

-
Back