bb or sb for my 72 dart swinger

-

dartswinger7

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm new to the board and also the proud new owner of my first dart. I have built many of Chevy motors and tinkered very little with mopars. I was wondering what are the pros and cons for small block vs big block. 440's are a dime a dozen around my area, at first I was thinking about a 360 and making a stroker out of it but they are soo hard to find. Now I'm tempted to go with a 440 because they are easy to find. My wife bought my this car and I'm deployed right now so its my project gift waiting at home for me to get started. I only have a few more months over here and I get to come home and start. Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks
Michael

It's much easier to put a small block in one than a big block. With a big block, there isn't room tor the brake booster and power steering can be done but it''s tight. Alot of these cars came from the factory with small blocks, so they are easier to fit and there are more parts available for them. I am building a 1970 Duster and have had this dilemma as well. I have a fresh 450 hp 440 in my garage that was for a truck project that never came to be and toyed with the idea, but have a 340 that I am going to rebuild instead. The big block adds some extra weight to the front end as well, which will not make the handling any better. I know alot of people go the big block route in A bodies and love it. JMO.

Thanks for the response I think I will stick with the small block idea and do the 408 stroker from the 360 block. This will be my first Mopar build so I will on the forum a lot for advice and tips.

Thanks for the response I think I will stick with the small block idea and do the 408 stroker from the 360 block. This will be my first Mopar build so I will on the forum a lot for advice and tips.

If you are OK with the small block I would definitely stick to that route on your first Mopar project. The big block conversion will cost a lot more than you realize and is not easy even for hard core Mopar veterans.

DartSwinger7 - I have a 71/440/727, I like it a lot and has been a great learning experience. If I was to do it again, I would probably do a 360. WAY lower cost in the end. Dont be like me, pick what you want to do - cruise / street-strip / Drag race / or rally (or combination) and build to that.

Recommendation would be a 5.9 magnum, re-do the heads, drop it in and enjoy for a bit to find your direction, becomes addicting.

I started as cruise only and have transitioned to high end strip with street functionality and it has been a learning curve. 440's are hard on bodies and doors, need to tie it together, they are hard on rear-ends, need to bulk that up, cooling is always an issue. And front end needs attention as well. BUT it is fun.

Good luck and be safe - I virtually built my GTO while I was deployed. Gave me an outlet and helped keep my mind busy during the monotony. I had a stack of parts in my garage when I got home. I built and decompressed for the first few weeks, really helped me as an outlet and alone time.

CP

I'd go big block especially if your going the stroker route
440 has more Cid that a 408 and better bore and rod ratios and if you don't care about that stroke out the 440 to a 540 .
I can't see Big Block swap being all that much more expensive especially if your gonna run quality headers on either engine. Headers and aluminum intake get you close to factory Small Block weight and aluminum heads get you all the way there. What power range are you looking at ?

It's seems the general rule on this site is
No Replacement for Displacement unless you have to go Big Block lol

I would go the small block route. Originally I was going to drop in a 440 into my 73 swinger but I changed my mind because I would have had to upgrade so many things to accommodate. Being a young college student means money doesn't grow on trees :p

My car originally had a 318, so if you already have a small block its a direct swap, no fabrication to make stuff fit aside from the passenger side engine mount on a 360, but a few washers fix that problem. And small blocks can be made to have alot of power, and in a light little abody they go pretty damn good.

It's seems the general rule on this site is
No Replacement for Displacement unless you have to go Big Block lol

yup

I would go Big block- and this is coming from someone with a 408 stroker. Parts are much much more plentiful for big blocks (at least racing/performance parts...you never said your goals for the car).

I wish I had started with a big block and stroked that...Something about 500 inches of mopar power and a healthy shot of spray makes my pants tight

just my 2 cents

I vote Small block:glasses7:

Attachments

• 000_4131.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 151
  • 000_4137.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 156
I vote Small block:glasses7:

Cute little intake... a big block is not as subtle. Will that fit without a scoop?
A small block is easier... as I said, and, if lighter can make for a better handling car. But a big block is like, whoa dude, how did you stuff that thing in there...

Attachments

• BOG.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 138
  • DSC02775s.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 141
There can be only one...it's big or go home....guy walks into a bar with a severe thirst,ask barkeep for a draw,barkeep brings him one,guy drinks it right down trying to quench his thirst,didnt fullfill his need so he looks at barkeep and says is this all you got? Barkeep looks at him and says well I got this 440 magnum under the counter but I dont think you can handle it but you can give it a try if you aint afraid of torque and raw power and the sheer rush of it,about same money just most people are afraid of it but it'll definetely get you there quicker with less effort,so the guy has the barkeep bring him a 440 magnum shot,guy drinks it down puts it on the counter and sits down on the barstool all lightheaded,takes him a minute to clear his head and get over the rush,looks at barkeep and says why didnt you bring me one of these in the 1st place? Barkeep looks him in the eye and says..well it aint for everyone and you didnt ask for it,so now that you've had one do you want a regular one now? Guy thinks about it for a few seconds and says ..nope ,think I like this a whole lot better but does it come in other flavors? Barkeep says yea we got 451's,stroker's,B's and Rb's in all configurations and proofs,just pick your poison and sit down and hold on.......so I guess you know what my answer to your question is...lol

This debate will continue until the very end of time.

I can imagine the guy sitting at the Plymouth dealer in 1967. "Should I get the Formula S with the 273 or the Formula S with the 383..." and the salesman probably said something like "The 383 will go faster in a straight line, if you can get any traction, and the 273 will corner better. Of course the 383 option does cost a little more..."

If you can turn, you aren't going fast enough...period

A swinger won't fit much more than a 255 wide rear tire so a BB is way over kill if it is built. My drag racing buddy has a 440 swinger and it blows the tires bad.

I am in the SB camp on a Swinger. Move the springs, maybe some 4 link and a coil over with 315s (see MAd Dart's build), big hood and a BB is way more. Look at how much power IQ52 is getting on his "Pops engine" thread on pump swill.

440 all the way they have a lot parts to help you bolt in that big block. I have a 66 cuda with a 440 in it and would not have it any other way. by the way thanks for your service in the US military

just my 1 cent.....my small block is running about 530+hp You can see all my specs in members photos. Maybe give you some food for thought.

-
Back