bb swap questions

-

CrazyPete

Reaction score
ive got the schmacher slant to bb conv mounts already is it easier to shoehorn the entire assembly engine and trans or install them separate? also how much clearence is there from the engine to the firewall?

put the engine and trans into the car together. Bolt the transmission to the crossmember first and then check that the rear of the oil pump has at least 1/8" clearance.(round part of the pump fits in the space you created by cutting the K frame). When I put 451 in, I had to elongate the trans. mount holes by 1/4" to allow the engine/trans to move forward. Perfect fit. Bolt in the Schumacher mounts and have a nice cold beer! By the way...the Schumacher mounts are probably one of the best products I have ever purchased.

awesome anything else u can think of let me knowim gonna be doing this next weekend

I just had to jump in and say Congrat's Pete :cheers:
Have fun and be careful bud :-D

An engine tilter makes this a much easier job. I did it in my garage all by myself on the first attempt.

Make sure you read the instructions on what to cut on the k-member as the Schumacher mounts are not just a drop in and go arrangement (not their fault, some parts jsut won't fit with the motor in the right place). This is also the time to upgrade/rebuild the front suspension and add better brakes.

I could do the whole swap on a car in a weekend, but it would take me several to get all the parts together and ready to go in.

If your really careful you dont need to pull the hood either. need a short chain though and no intake manifold to do it that way(w/a b motor). We have schumaker headers in our duster w/383 for now(not for long as I'm gonna be putting the 440 back together we had in it earlier this yr) but we only install the driver side header along with the engine. To get the pass header in I pop off the steering rod that runs under the oil pan and that gives you the room to rotate the pass side header in with the engine up just a tiny bit just dont scratch up your header or the inner fender.
Good luck,
Jr.

Hi, I'm also in the middle of a 440 swap into a /6 Scamp. Schumacher kit all the way. Sorry to hijack your thread, but i"m sure we can both use the info. I noticed that the heater fan motor is a TIGHT fit. Trying to use Mopar Perf finned valve covers, anyone use these? Think they will work if I grind the fins in the area under the heater motor?

Hi, I'm also in the middle of a 440 swap into a /6 Scamp. Schumacher kit all the way. Sorry to hijack your thread, but i"m sure we can both use the info. I noticed that the heater fan motor is a TIGHT fit. Trying to use Mopar Perf finned valve covers, anyone use these? Think they will work if I grind the fins in the area under the heater motor?

You can either delet it. Or if you want to keep it A member here, (Longgone) did a right up on how to move it back out of the way.

Check it out here.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=73748

Awesome.. The stock valve covers fit in there for now. Going to give the motor modification a shot this winter!

what r your wants for this car? i didnt notice what headers you r gonn be using schumkarsmy fav for a street crar running into the deep elvens and no ground clearance issues Would the other headers hav been better for what we were doing? sure but for what price of not being able to get into anywhere for like plugs and such. fenderwell headers have their place too like nowhere near my resting knuckles lol. Just curious what headers you were thnking of. Good luck,
Jr.

-
Back