Bbp disk brake conversion

-

alexr1905

Reaction score
I will apologize 1st before posting. I know there are tons of articles about this subject, and again sorry for the question but after reading thousands of posts and comments im confused for a bbp disk brake conversion for a 65 barracuda do I need the lower control arms, outer tie rods, center link, pitman arm, idler arm off the donor car?

Can someone just give me a list of stuff I need off the donor car?

The only things you need off the donor is the LBJ upper control arms, disc spindle and caliper adapters. If you know the calipers are pretty new, then pull them. otherwise buy them new along with the pads and hoses.

EDIT: i’d Probably replace the UCA bushings unless you KNOW they’re new or in extremely nice shape

Thanks Dartman, just wanted to make sure before I torch the donor cars lower arms

If you are taking them off a doner car, just unbolt the lower ball joints, take the upper control arms off the frame, cut the rubber brake line.
Done.

You will also need the disc brake cars lower ball joints, and ball joint to spindle attach bolts too.

Next question what do you guys recommend to do to restore the parts like the spindles and control arms set them in evaporust overnight(do I need to worry about the bare metal on the spindles)? Use wire brush then paint? Leave as is?

buy most of the parts for a 73 Dart: hoses, bearings, bushings, ball joints (upper and lower), control arm bushings. refurbish: spindles, Upper arms, caliper mounts, splash shields. degrease - wire wheel and paint. Don't paint the actual spindles though. beware of the FJM spindle vs. A body spindle argument! lol always a fun one!

For calipers; I opt for 78s rather than 73s. They have a larger bore caliper piston for a little more "umph". good to have if going with no power set up.

Where can I get the bolts for the LBJ? I have all new parts except the bolts, but noticed my bolts have some crapped up threads.

Where can I get the bolts for the LBJ? I have all new parts except the bolts, but noticed my bolts have some crapped up threads.
Measure them up, Fastenall or McMaster-Carr should have them.

Get the calipers regardless of condition, because there will be a core charge on them.

buy most of the parts for a 73 Dart: hoses, bearings, bushings, ball joints (upper and lower), control arm bushings. refurbish: spindles, Upper arms, caliper mounts, splash shields. degrease - wire wheel and paint. Don't paint the actual spindles though. beware of the FJM spindle vs. A body spindle argument! lol always a fun one!

For calipers; I opt for 78s rather than 73s. They have a larger bore caliper piston for a little more "umph". good to have if going with no power set up.
How about 76 calipers? I hear they are different.
Also I've been curious about the lower control arms. Seems to be said that you do not need to change lower control arms but you need to change ball joints. Is there a difference between the LCA of pre 73 compared to 73 & up? Or is it strictly just the spindle/knuckle fitment?

The difference between pre 72 and post 73 is the location of the sway bar tabs. No sway bar? Don’t worry about it.

-
Back