Beast in Diesel form..

-

va58

Restoration Jedi
Reaction score
New addition to the family. Purchased yesterday..
2002 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, one owner, 100,000 miles...

Attachments

• 02 Dodge truck 003.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 385
How much you grab that for?

Those things still sell like gold around here. There's one on craigslist right now that's a 1999...same truck as yours but I think it only has around 66,000mi on it and they want just $20,000!!!
I'm just like, really, I know it's a Cummins and all but the truck still is 14yrs old!!

Those things still sell like gold around here. There's one on craigslist right now that's a 1999...same truck as yours but I think it only has around 66,000mi on it and they want just $20,000!!!
I'm just like, really, I know it's a Cummins and all but the truck still is 14yrs old!!

You are exactly right. Months of research e-bay, Craigslist, clean low mileage
original trucks are 12-13k or so, for high miles, somewhat beat up to 20k and more for lower miles and clean. Asking price was 17k and after much negotiations
I purchased it at 14k. I was cool until I drove it but after seeing how tight and and well cared for it was, I knew I was buying it...

Nice rig,
That year up or down a bit go for 20 to 23,000 Around The tri-state area here,
Very popular Verse my "03 7.3 that has has Been sitting LOL, People love those cumalongs

My next WILL be a Cummins. :prayer::D

Nice truck had a red 02 just like it, now have an 05. A fuel pressure gauge can be your best friend on a vp-44 injected truck like yours. Would be a wise investment if you dont have one yet.

A fuel pressure gauge can be your best friend on a vp-44 injected truck like yours. Would be a wise investment if you dont have one yet.

This was going to be my first suggestion. I started my Cummins addiction with an '02 very similar to that one. Now, 5 trucks later, I ended up with an '03 Quad cab. Wouldn't trade it for anything, except maybe a Mega somedays.

wow you'd be doing good to get a second gen for $14K. the first gen's in good shape are still bringing 10K here all day long, even rotten ones with good engines sell for $4000

Im in the market for a cummins. Nice looking truck. Must not be from the northeast.

Nice truck had a red 02 just like it, now have an 05. A fuel pressure gauge can be your best friend on a vp-44 injected truck like yours. Would be a wise investment if you dont have one yet.

This one has been retrofitted under warranty to the newer system with the later style fuel pump in tank. That being said, I don't know about the "44" . I had a gorgeous first generation diesel many years ago but wanted a 4x4 extra cab and it's black!! :blob:

^The in tank style is better, but they can still go bad. This will then have the same result and end up taking out the injection pump. A low pressure indicator light would be a cheap solution to help you keep an eye on it and prevent a small problem from becoming a very costly repair.

Selling for $12-15k here

^The in tank style is better, but they can still go bad. This will then have the same result and end up taking out the injection pump. A low pressure indicator light would be a cheap solution to help you keep an eye on it and prevent a small problem from becoming a very costly repair.

Thanks for the advice. Will look into this...

I'm not diesel savy, so allow me to ask an odd question. What does said solutions help you avoid?

I had a 1995 dually I bought new [lost it, long story] then I bought a used 1998 after searching for 5 years both 12 valve Cummins/autos I love diesels but they are an expensive vehicle if things break [which they will] my, 98 was totaled out [electrical meltdown] I had to go back to a gasser but I still love diesels and some day I may own one again, but it will be a 12 valve Cummins/stick truck [i'm not a fan of the newer motors]. Nice looking truck prices are similar here there was a 97 dually club cab with less than 100k for 14-15k I was thinking of but it sold.

1995-1998 1/2 Cummins 12 valve engines used a low pressure fuel system [lift pump on block] just like a gas engine,in mid year 1998 they changed over to a 24 valve engine and started using an in tank pump along with a lift pump creating a high pressure system [the mechanical lift pump was problematic] and was prone to falure if that happens the low fuel pressure [fuel cools the moving parts in the injection pump] destroys the internals of the injection pump [they came up with a modified aftermarket kit] calle a fass system that removes the mechanical pump therefore avoiding falure. This is my reason for sticking with 12 valve engines,plus 12 valves are all mechanically controlled where as the 24 valve engines are computer controlled.

I seen used some used truck dealers in my general area asking almost 18k for diesel pick-up trucks with over 150,000 miles on them and maybe have some rust or dents.
A couple years ago I was looking at a 1999 or 2000 Dodge Ram 3500 with low miles and they wanted 20k for it and was in ok shape,but not as good as my '01.

I'm not diesel savy, so allow me to ask an odd question. What does said solutions help you avoid?

It is a light that is activated when there is a lack of fuel pressure. Since the injection pump will still suck fuel and the vehicle will run if the lift pump quits there's not a way to tell if it's going bad until it's too late. This is an inexpensive solution to allow you to monitor the fuel pressure that is being supplied to the injection pump. They are normally preset at around 5-6 psi and if pressure drops below that it lights up.

1995-1998 1/2 Cummins 12 valve engines used a low pressure fuel system [lift pump on block] just like a gas engine,in mid year 1998 they changed over to a 24 valve engine and started using an in tank pump along with a lift pump creating a high pressure system [the mechanical lift pump was problematic] and was prone to falure if that happens the low fuel pressure [fuel cools the moving parts in the injection pump] destroys the internals of the injection pump [they came up with a modified aftermarket kit] calle a fass system that removes the mechanical pump therefore avoiding falure. This is my reason for sticking with 12 valve engines,plus 12 valves are all mechanically controlled where as the 24 valve engines are computer controlled.

^This is partially correct. The 12 valve trucks used a mechanical fuel pump driven off of a lobe on the camshaft. When the switched to the 24 valve trucks they still mounted on the side of the block but it was converted to an electric pump. They lift pumps have never made enough pressure to be considered "high pressure". Even the Airdog system I have on my '03 only runs at about 18 psi, but has the capability to flow 150 GPH. The biggest problem with the block mounted electric pumps is the heat and vibration would cook them, which would force the VP44 injection pump to suck the fuel through the lift pump from the tank. Since the injection pump is cooled and lubricated from the diesel fuel inside of it this then causes heat and a lack of lubrication which kills the injection pump. The factory "solution" to the early electric lift pump was to move the lift pump into the fuel tank. This let the pump act as a pusher pump instead of a suction pump, and the constant fuel surrounding it helped to keep it cooler. It is a decent solution, but it can still fail. The key to longevity with a VP44 is clean fuel, and plenty of it.

Well got her home and finally had some time this summer to clean her up. My busy time of year with work,grass,pool, kids,etc.
she turned out pretty good...

Attachments

• 02 dodge truck 019.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 167
  • 02 dodge truck 018.jpg
    72.9 KB · Views: 156
  • 02 dodge truck 006.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 02 dodge truck 002.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 163
  • 02 dodge truck 013.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 160
  • 02 dodge truck 001.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 160
Real nice looking truck. Finding a nice Cummins is on the bucket list after college for me.

cumminsforum.com is also a great place to visit. when you need a fuel pump, check out the Air Dog. complete system for about $500 with a lifetime warranty. get a fresh air set up and a 4" exhaust to up the power AND mileage. also find a quadzilla mileage max "puck" to up the HP about 40 AND get you an additional 2 mpg. i get 16 mpg pulling my car @ 70 mph. cummins FTW :cheers:

The company I worked for had two cummins trucks. The 1st one was a 1999 one ton with a manual 5spd. Motor had 275,000 on it when the rear end started going. We gave the truck to a mechanic friend who did some rear end work and the truck to this day is still going strong. Last time I saw the truck it had 500,000 miles on it. 2nd truck was an 1999 one ton Automatic that was not as lucky. Truck was in a front end accident that damaged the radiator. Sold the truck as a parts truck for $1000.00 must of had 20 calls.

-
Back