Beat bay Area mopar machinest?

-

InItSwingIt

Reaction score
My 6 has been troopin along with a bad main that finally went. Knocks LOUD, so it's time to throw together this block that came with a bunch-o-parts in a $400 craigslist score. Its a 77' 360 out of a 1 ton van, with the pistons about a far in the whole as they can be. It's came with a reworked set of heads with new big valves and comp valve springs but if I threw it together as it sits, even with some head work it would most defenetely be a lazy dog. It came wih an alum eddy performer dual plane, and matching double pumper. I was thinkin of getting some better slugs and over boring as little as necessary, and match it with a stock stroke forged crank. Just a robust daily driver and tire boiler. That's will be it's only job, reliable and what I like to call "complementary resurfacing"

I am looking for some input, and first hand expernces of reputable builders that will do a good job, and keep a paying customer happy. I've been more than dissatisfied with even just talking to the few places I called. I'm located in Santacruz, and would be willing to go outside the immediate area to work with reputable and reccomended shop. I'm not trying to spend 10k, just get someone who knows mopar to help wih the build. And keep it between 2.5-5k budget.

Thanks in advance,
-sam

There's got to be somebody good in San Jose. I live an hour north from there, can anybody help this guy out?

You are in luck. The Master of the Slant 6 universe lives in Sunnyvale. His name is Doug Dutra. Send me a PM and I'll introduce you to him. Great guy and a brilliant Slant 6 tuner.

There's got to be somebody good in San Jose. I live an hour north from there, can anybody help this guy out?

I agree, there hast to be SOMEBODY good, just don't want to find out who is not so good the hard way. If anyone has personally used someone in particular with exeptional results, Here is your chance to refer some business to someone who deserves to stay in business! Doesn't need to be a race motor, just decent professional service. Check out the block, see if it needs to be decked and whatever our basic clean up it needs. Check out the bores, throw in the cam, cc and slap of the heads. Basic stuff. Just tryin to avoid one of those "I dropped it off 6 months ago..." Horror story. I'd go inland or anywhere within 50mi radius if it will be worth it in the end.

You are in luck. The Master of the Slant 6 universe lives in Sunnyvale. His name is Doug Dutra. Send me a PM and I'll introduce you to him. Great guy and a brilliant Slant 6 tuner.

Will his wizardy work on a 360? I'd appreciate the introduction if you think he'd take this one on, he can even HAVE the slant when I pull it!

Check out,the Nor Cal Mopar forum here.It was started ,for just this kind of situation.(Edit: just saw,you're a member..)..

Doug specializes in /6's; dunno if he does any V8 work.

My bad. I missed that he was doing a small block. I had a short block done at Clarks in Cupertino. Ask for Steve. He's a good man with years of experience. The shop does solid work at fair prices.

Is this in California? Who would this "guy" happen to be?

I was being sarcastic to bring the point that you need to be a little more descriptive on the location...

California doesn't have the only bay.... Location, location, location....

My guy is in Detroit....

Have you checked out victory machine in San Jose ? Bought a built short block from them years ago . Nice work-360 .030" over internally balanced .

Just noticed this! I am in San Jose, Check out Hubbard Machine in Hayward. They are down the street from Vic Hubbards. I got my 360 and 410 stroker machined there! Prices are very reasonable!

I was being sarcastic to bring the point that you need to be a little more descriptive on the location...

California doesn't have the only bay.... Location, location, location....

My guy is in Detroit....

Ok, yea, that one went clear over my head...I figured because I said I was in santacruz people would get the whole Monterey or SF Bay Area reference. I get it, World Wide Web and all. Thanks for the interest tho

My bad. I missed that he was doing a small block. I had a short block done at Clarks in Cupertino. Ask for Steve. He's a good man with years of experience. The shop does solid work at fair prices.

I had my 273 heads ported there recently, but I haven't run them yet :pale:

They have done work on various cars for me over the last 20-odd years, and they have always been fair.

The outfit that actually built my 273 the first time is long gone (Performance Technology of Mountain View). But they were knowledgeable: sourced pistons, recommended camshafts, components, etc. I miss them being around.

I use Midway Engine Rebuilders in Salinas, California. They did my 318 and it purrs like a kitten. Been going there for forty years now. Not the cheapest, but they do it right.

Clarks was recommened to me by engine shop teacher at De Anza Jr college while I was there. Hubbards does a lot of mopars though.

Steve at Clark's Machine in Cupertino.

Attachments

• engine.pdf
    311.7 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_0966-1.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 98
Clarks was recommened to me by engine shop teacher at De Anza Jr college while I was there. Hubbards does a lot of mopars though.

Small world ... I worked for Clark Rosa back in the day, he did great machine work in the 80's. I had heard he sold his shop, so I can't comment on the work since. I say it's at least worth checking out. DeAnza College's Auto Tech program has always been top notch, if they send Clark's work, it's worth looking into.

-
Back