Beat the Javelin, but %$#@% engine ticking now

-

Mopar to ya

Reaction score
I ran into a very nice Javelin in town last night. I talked to him and his wife at the stoplight, and they had a baby in the back in a car seat. When the light changed I wasn't expecting a race and was driving slowly away in first gear. We were going about 15-20 mph when he hit it and took off. I punched it and went sideways because I was still in first. I know it revved way too high. I ratcheted into second, fishtailed a bit the other way and straightened it out and blew the Javelin away. At the next stop I could hear what sounds like a lifter tick. It is rotational and changed with speed. I remember it doing this once last year, but only for a few minutes. Now it won't go away. I don't know if over revving did it, or if I have a bad lifter, or what. I am running Comp hydraulic roller lifters, so you wouldn't think they would have an issue. What do you all think? I want to take it apart this weekend, but I want to be proactive and either have suspected parts in hand or available to pick up at a local speed shop. Any thoughts on what it could be? Also, I wonder about a different, more radical cam at the same time I disassemble, but I don't want to lose low end torque. Any ideas on that? This is what I run now:

408 stroker
1992 360 magnum block
scat 4" stroke crank
Scat forged i-beam rods
Diamond flat top pistons (11.8:1 compression)
Total Seal rings
Engine Pro main, rod, Cam bearings
Fluid damper
Cloyes double roller timing set
Cometic head gaskets
Edelbrock performer rpm heads (gasket matched w/ light porting)
Smith Bros pushrods
Comp 1.5 ratio shaft mount billet roller rockers
Comp hydraulic roller lifters
Comp Cam
242/248 Dur@ .050, .3660/.3630 lift @ .050, 112° lobe sep. 549/544 gross valve lift
Comp valve springs, retainers, keepers, locators
Melling hv oil pump
Edelbrock RPM Air Gap intake
MSD Pro Billet distributor
bronze dist gear
Holley 750dp mech secondary manual choke
Mopar MSD 6 Ignition box

I wish. It is coming from the valve cover area, I can hear it. I think I'll get the mechanic's stethoscope out tonight and see if I can narrow down the bank and the area.

maybe floated the valves and bent a pushrod. that would throw your lash off and give you a tick just like your talking about.

check headers make sure one ant ticking fumes! then id be looking at rockers making sure one ant backed off,..then push rods,roll them on a perfectly flat serface,..then check lifters an cam lobes,hope it dont get no deeper than the push tubes!

Couldn't pull the valve covers yet. The Wild are taking on the Blackhawks. That had to take precedence. Any more thoughts? Cam thoughts?

I saw your thread earlier and my first thought was a bent pushrod.....seen it many times on SBC's, but with the Smith Bros. rods....I doubted that was it. Never know, hope it's a simple fix.

Now that overtime is done , it might be as simple as a stuck lifter. Might be an adjuster loosened up. Bent pushrod would be farther down my check list.
You sure didn't wait long after the snow left. :D

I just found out the story on this race. It seemed strange to me, but I found out what happened today. A few days ago my daughter and I were cruising in the Dart to get pizza. At the local O'Reilly's there was a car with a scoop on it parked in the lot and everyone was circling around it, including all the employees I knew. We were doing maybe 25 or 30 and I barked the tires to draw their attention. It worked and my daughter thought it was funny. Apparently the car was the Javelin, but I didn't know it. The owner thought I was a smart *** and because he has a "really built" motor he was going to "track his *** down" and teach me a lesson in humility. When I talked to him and his wife at the stoplight, he just scowled and never said anything. She was friendly, though. Now I know why. And the lesson? Well, I guess he got taken to school that day and not me. He lost pretty badly and I didn't hook up well. So much for a "really built" motor. My buddy at O'Reilly's told me the story today. I laughed my *** off!

Cool that you smoked him. I had several guy's come after me, with engines of different brands built by the big money local guru, and I taught them a lesson.....felt good and gave me a rep too. With that said, i'm hoping you have a minor repair :thumleft:.

Thanks. I think I will have time on Thursday to look at it. It's supposed to snow again anyway. Might as well tear it down while I can't drive it anyway.

There's your problem right there. Ya got a lil Javelin stuck in the air filter... :D

Cool that you smoked him. I had several guy's come after me, with engines of different brands built by the big money local guru, and I taught them a lesson.....felt good and gave me a rep too. With that said, i'm hoping you have a minor repair :thumleft:.
lol me too, so far, spanked a nutlass 455,a few sbc a 396 chevelle and just barely got beat by a 496 70 camaro.now i have the 456s i;m calling him out and he has had excuse after excuse.he only got me by a fender last time and i had 323s.cant wait to roll on him.....and like you said all these cars had shop built engines.i built mine myself.....

Mopar to Ya,Thanks for throttling a dufus . I neglected, to post .(until the explanation!). Was needed. Street racing ,has it's codes.(If you know it....).

I'd guess the with the heavy hyd roller valvetrain you have a problem. As others have suggested take a look. Put a rev limiter on it and cross your fingers.

I,d say it,s time for a rev limiter also,which I thought you,d have already with the stroker 408.They rev alot quicker than a stock 340/360.Hope it,s just a stuck lifter.Good luck.

Edit:I seen a MSD6AL box with Blaster coil here for sale for $130..good deal.

I know. I had an adjustable rev limiter on it, but it went bad and I never replaced it. Stupid of me, and it looks as if now I am going to pay for it.

Hope its an easy fix, be nice to see it in June at the Mopar show again, good luck :glasses7:

-
Back