Beating my fan shroud.

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I know this topic has been beat to death but I couldn't find a clear answer. I went through the break In on my new small block and she ran hot. I know this is normal but it got me wanting a fan shroud and a new fan clutch. Where on earth do I find a shroud for a 73 swinger that isn't 200 bucks and what type of fan clutch is recommended?

Thanks

Your timing is probably retarded. That's the number one cause of overheating a new engine.

Good used shrouds for later model wider radiators are not nearly as rare as the earlier 22 inch shrouds. The wider radiator and shroud may be the best route.

I just lucked out, my 73 swinger came with a 26 inch rad and a shroud. If I'm not mistaken wouldn't any 26 inch dodge rad shroud work if you can find it?

I'm going to get home tonight and take some measurements and see what I can find. Mounting it is the only thing I and worried about.

Also do I want to go with a thermal clutch for my fan?

I just lucked out, my 73 swinger came with a 26 inch rad and a shroud. If I'm not mistaken wouldn't any 26 inch dodge rad shroud work if you can find it?

The fan opening can be in different places even if the shroud is the same size physically.
Mounting harware locations can be different also.

On top of that, fan clutches are different depths an some are too deep to fit.

I just don't know which ones fit and don't but I'm sure someone here does as I have seen them discussing it.

When I was looking, there were many different shroud PN's, I think even for the same year. It is kind of like the pulley & belt setups, no simple answers. I forgot how I found one on ebay that perfectly fit both the radiator and fan in my 1965 273 (which I think is a 72 slant model). I sure didn't pay the $200 some ask. Those prices are for the E-body correct guys.

What size rad do you have? My 73 dart was a 318 w/ac and a 26 inch rad. If thats what you have I could look up the part number on my shroud and maybe make it easier for you to find something.

-
Back