Beating the backspacing!

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been posted a million times but I couldn't find the real answer using the search tool. I am getting ready to buy cragars for my rear so I can mount my street tires. The rear end is a 8.25 with drums on a 73 swinger. The tires are 235s and I was curious what backspacing I would need and what the optimal width would be.

My 73 Dart Sport stock 8.25 235/60/15 15x7 4.25" BS 1/2" clearance inside sidewall to spring.

Not trying to be a jerk but why dont' you just measure it for yourself. These cars can vary a bit depending on many factors. The back is VERY easy to measure. The front...much harder.

The easiest way to do this is to hang a plumb-bob from various points to the floor, mark the floor, and then you can measure these marks without any parts interfering. Before you measure, make sure the car's weight is on the axle, so it's in its ride-height position.

Read this page and you can figure out exactly what you need before spending $$$.
http://www.bigblockdart.com/techpages/wheelspacing.shtml

I have a 73 dart swinger with the stock 7 1/4 (not much longer). I have 255s in the rear, the rims are billet specialties, 15x8 and 4.5 backspacing. They are a bit tight, one side doent have as much clearance, I guess my rear isnt centered completely. You will have to measure though, I think I just got really lucky that everything fit.

I know how to do it using a rim but how do I do it with a tape measure ?

Set the front and rear up on jackstands with the wheels off the back. Rear jackstands have to be under the AXLE not under the body.

If you have stock suspension and stock tubs the first thing you'll hit to the inside is the leafs.

The outside you'll have the lip and or the inner contour roll to deal with.

Measure from the spring surface to the lip or the roll depending on which sticks further into the wheel well opening.

Since you are ordering new wheels I'd also order a set of offset hangers. You can run 10.50 tires with those hangers.

-
Back