beginning of a 1970 340 4 speed turn key

-

340plot

the bushy bush
Reaction score
well, it is not really a restoration at the moment, but i wanted to post here, as i will be doing alot of things on the car over, and during the winter it will all be pulled apart for a complete resto.

little about the car........
i bought it less than a week ago for 4,700.00 off of a member here. he bought the car off of ebag 3 years ago. it was nothing like the pics and the guy from california had described it. so it has sat in his garage for three years now, and he had paid 10,000 grand for it. so i know he took a huge loos on it, but he just wanted to rid himself of the headache.has a few rust holes in the floors, that are the size of quarters. has a bad charging problem, bondo throughout the car, and a few other quircks that the guy had mentioned.
it is not a numbers matching car, but still has a 71 340 in it, so i was told by the seller. come to find out when i got it home, it has a 72 340 in it, and i was not happy about that at all. but after talking to the seller, we have come to an agreement.
so at the moment, the car runs and drives fantastic.of course i had to put my dual hood scoops on it the same day i got home.lol NOW I JUST NEED TO FIND A SET OF THE CHROME bezels FOR THEM

i have fixed the leak at the gas tank filler by putting a new seal on it, i completely redid the grill in it. have been working on the kinks in the over charging issue, and have put gas in it to cruise when i get done the wiring.lol
so the guy sold it to me for 4,700 because the car was not what he exspected when he bought it. yes, 10,000 is alot for a car, but i do not see restored 340 4 speed cars going for that cheap. so what do you get for ten grand? i think a driver quality car is about right. would i have paid 10 g's for this car after seeing it in person? no, not by a long shot. everything is decent for a driver, but the bodywork does not justify that price tag. i would say that 8,000 would be about right for the present condition. but as we all know, they are getting harder to find by the day.

now, as i look at the car, i see a diamond in the ruff., but i do plan on putting new quarters on it with a set of bondo free fenders and doors. i do not think it needs full quarters, but i want to do it right this time around, as i had to sell my last one recently to help out family.
so here is some car ****, and i will be updating as i go. thanks

70 red 340 4 speed 001.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 002.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 003.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 004.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 005.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 007.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 006.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 008.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 009.jpg

70 red 340 4 speed 011.jpg

i like the car, i looked at your other post. for 4700 i would of bought it and just run it. even if its a 20-50 footer. you just dont see them out on the road. if someone wants to knock it... its 40 year old car. tell them to buy there own and redo it.

least you have something all together to start with. didnt buy a stripped car where every little part adds up fast. alot of it you can reuse and clean up. good luck with it.

lol. yea, it looks like a new car at 20 feet.lol

It looks pretty good. You say the 340 is from a 72? It looks like the interior is also but I could be wrong. Some buckets sure would look good in there. Sure wish I could find one like this for the price.

i know that they have been recovered. but if i can find a set of buckets that are nice and already recovered black, i would buy them and put them in

Great looking car,I would pay that for it but I would say right now its probaly a 6-7k car give or take a little with the current market,after you do some work and/or make it a bit more orginial it will defintiely increase.They must have used a 72 parts car to put it together.besides the 72 interior the bumpers caught my eye,they never had jack slots in 70 and the engine being a 72.

Yea, but my 70 /6 duster haas jack slots too.?lol

Yea, but my 70 /6 duster haas jack slots too.?lol

The factory didnt introduce them until late 71 so I dont know whats up with that,none of my 70s or early 71s had them,strange.But back to this one its obvious someone threw some 72 parts at it so why not the bumpers?,lol.Still a very cool car but it makes you wonder why people put the wrong year interior in,of course thats if in fact he paid to have them recovered and didnt just pull them from another car.At any rate definitely a score.

Good score! Looks to me that the bench is correct for 1970 with the release at the top,but the covers look correct for 1971. Ask the experts to be sure! Overall great deal!!

i like it is red the original color? i have an extra set of chrome trim for the scoops let me find them there in storage

The seat covers look to be 1972 style.

The grill is definitely a 1970, as well as the rallye wheels.

Good looking car!

I think I've seen that car - was it located in the East?

car is orig. rallye red, and no, the car came from the west coast

Who did you use to ship the car from the West Coast, and would you recommend that outfit? I may be getting a car from So Cal.

You did good!

A very desirable car (Just my humble opinion - '70 - '71 factory 340 4 speed Dusters in a desirable color - high impact or rally red in this case, are the best years for 340 factory Dusters out there). '70 - '71 340 Dusters had the forged, high compression 340s, excellent 833 4 speed, rallye gauge cluster.

Who did you use to ship the car from the West Coast, and would you recommend that outfit? I may be getting a car from So Cal.

You did good!

A very desirable car (Just my humble opinion - '70 - '71 factory 340 4 speed Dusters in a desirable color - high impact or rally red in this case, are the best years for 340 factory Dusters out there). '70 - '71 340 Dusters had the forged, high compression 340s, excellent 833 4 speed, rallye gauge cluster.

i actually bought it from a guy in pa, and he had it shipped to him from cali. he said it cost him 1,300.00 from west coast

i actually bought it from a guy in pa, and he had it shipped to him from cali. he said it cost him 1,300.00 from west coast

Thanks for the info.! $1300 is not too bad! Wonder who he used?

I'm trying to find a reasonably priced shipper from California to East Coast.

The prices are all over the place!

Your car is gonna be awesome! Of course it's already cool, and you can drive it! It's got all the right stuff including the right color for a '70 340 with a 4 speed!

Take care!

well, i just received a check for a refund to purchase another 340 engine, i would like to put a 70 back in it, or i may just use the money to buy new quarter panels for it, since it runs perfect

Nice looking project. I think it is a good starting point. The price sounds fair to me. I was offered 6000 for my 340 4 speed Dart and it need a ground up resto on it. Then when I said no he asked if I would sell it for more than six but I love the car to much to sell her. Good luck on the build. Cant wait to see how she comes together for you.

OK. HERE IS AN UPDATE. I DID NOT THINK I WAS GOING TO TOUCH the body of the car till the winter, but instead do a engine build. after talking to a few senior members, i have been persuaded to get the body nice first. so here goes. i figured that i would start at a hard to do spot, and i chose the lower windsheild pillars. all there was that showed damage was a crack. i knew all to well that meant a crack in the bondo. it took longer to get all the bondo out, than it did to get this far. here is pics of progress. later today i will do the body work to it, and just use some red paint i have to touch up for now, then on to another bad spot.. as you can see of all the stuff i pulled out of the hole............... what a rig.lol

REPAIRS 002.jpg

REPAIRS 003.jpg

REPAIRS 005.jpg

REPAIRS 004.jpg

REPAIRS 006.jpg

REPAIRS.jpg

REPAIRS 008.jpg

REPAIRS 009.jpg

The 2nd and 3rd pics seem to show a light at the upper front fender; pass side, not. No slots in bumpers in 1970.

well, i THOUGHT i was done with the passenger side roof rail. i go to prep for skim coat, and see a tiny hairline crack near my work. so what do i do? sure, you guessed it. i take my screwdriver and start poking at the metal. screwdriver goes right through. so now i understand the old saying"opening up a can of worms".lol

REPAIRS 010.jpg

REPAIRS 011.jpg

sometimes it sucks to on cover what you find,

were building a 70 charger for a customer and its a bondo bucket and he wants a lazer straight black paint job. i told him ill put his 440 and 4 speed in but no body work on that one. once i start stripping it wont be nothing left.

both my a bodys had cracks right where yours was but was no rust, just a crack

-
Back