Bellhousing question

-

64Signet

Reaction score
Looking for a little help, I have an opportunity to buy a small block/833 bellhousing from a 74 e body. Does anyone know if there are issues fitting this in a 64 Valiant? The car is originally a 4-speed. Thanks

Pay close attention to the size of the hole in the bellhousing where the input shaft bearing retainer fits. Your early A-body bearing retainer may be a different size than the hole in the bellhousing.

Thanks Rick, I had that in mind and have heard the retainer can be machined to fit. Fortunately I'm able to do that at work. My main concern is the clutch fork and linkage, I've heard 67-up a body bell will work with a different fork and z-bar set up. Not sure an e body bell will work though.

To the best of my knowledge,the bellhousings are not body specific.The early a body z-bar won't work with the later bellhousing.The early a bodies had small clutches, 9 1/2 and 10 inch.the later cars had 10 1/2 and 11 inch clutches.Brewers performance makes a z-bar and the bracket that supports it on the bellhousing,it's a no hassle bolt in and go kind of thing, unless you want to modify your z-bar yourself.I did the same in my 66 signet {71 aluminum bellhousing}

z-bar 004.jpg

res1vw21, yes that slantsix.org article is very good and informative on the trans, I had forgotten about it. Unfortunately it's geared toward the slant six.

I'm in the process of a 360 swap in a 64 Valiant. The car was originally 225 4 speed, I plan on using the original trans. From what Iv'e read the 360 is externally balanced requiring a 360 flywheel which I believe is 10.5" As far as I know the early cast iron bell uses a 9.5" flywheel and the 10.5" will not work. 67-up a body bell will work but not sure on the e body.

I thought the same about the bell not being body specific, but checking the casting #3743859 tells me this is 74 e body 10.5" and 11" clutch. There is another # for 74 that is a,b and e 11' clutch. The differences may be minor, but just wanted to check before buying something I can't use.

Looking for a little help, I have an opportunity to buy a small block/833 bellhousing from a 74 e body. Does anyone know if there are issues fitting this in a 64 Valiant? The car is originally a 4-speed. Thanks

I've been all through this over the past year on my 64 Dart project. Make sure you give Brewers the part number of your bell to check to se if their modified torque arm and bracket will work. I had a bell housing that didn't work and I had to modify their bracket.

TS636 TORQUE SHAFT 1963-66 A-BODY 10.5" BELLHOUSING CONVERSION Details

Torque shaft fits 1963-1966 A-body applications with 1968 & later 10.5" bellhousings. Requires use of our BSB636 bellhousing ballstud bracket, FP484 fork pivot & CF702 clutch fork.
Price: $89.95

Here is where you need to check

BSB636 BELLHOUSING BALLSTUD/BRACKET 1963-66 A-BODY WITH 10.5" BELLHOUSING Details

Bellhousing ballstud/bracket for 1963-66 A-body cars (when converting to 10.5" bellhousing), fits bellhousings with casting numbers 2843887, 2892482 and 3515734. See TS636 for torque shaft, AK636 adjuster kit, CF702 clutch fork, and FP484 fork pivot to complete your conversion.
Price: $29.95

I just e-mailed Brewers with the info, I'll see if they have any info. Thanks for the suggestion, I've seen their parts for 4 speed swaps but never thought of asking them.

-
Back