Beltline Molding Weatherstrips

-

JTG

Reaction score
Who carries the best beltline weatherstrip for a 68 Barracuda, Steele or Softseal or someone else? these weatherstrips on my car are in mint condition, only if the rubber on these stripes had been just a tiny bit wider then these pieces would be perfect. I just don't like the fact that when my windows are closed the weatherstrips don't hold a uniform consistency right across the glass. Areas of the rubber are sinking here and there as if not wide enough to remain pressed up against the glass, maybe I'm just too particular and that's the problem.

Steele rubber is by far the best in my opinion.I have used other brands to save a dollar and they did not fit .Pay the difference and get a better product

Steele rubber is by far the best in my opinion.I have used other brands to save a dollar and they did not fit .Pay the difference and get a better product

Hi downsr, thanks for the reply, do you have Steele beltline moldings on your car?

Hi downsr, thanks for the reply, do you have Steele beltline moldings on your car?

know ur pain here. mine leave a lot to be desired, will keep trying when the time comes. on a side note, I had a new 383 fom S, 68 barracuda back in the day. the windows in it leaked too !

know ur pain here. mine leave a lot to be desired, will keep trying when the time comes. on a side note, I had a new 383 fom S, 68 barracuda back in the day. the windows in it leaked too !

Its really annoying considering the beltline moldings on my car have less then 500 miles on them, if the rubber section on the molding had just been a tad bit wider then everything would be good. I'll be curious to see if Steele has better product, all the door and quarter glass line up with the body of the car when closed as they should.

If you are talking about the roof rail weather strip I put soft seals on my 69 cuda. I was not impressed.

Are you talking window "fuzzies"? I have heard Cat Whiskers are the Cat's ***.

Edit TopCat is what Ive heard are very good.

Are you talking window "fuzzies"? I have heard Cat Whiskers are the Cat's ***.

Edit TopCat is what Ive heard are very good.

Hey Steve, yah its the inner and outer fuzzy and weatherstrip combo running on the inside and outside of the channel on the top of the doors and section of quarter panel where the rear side glass is, in other words when your arm is out the window while driving it would be would be resting on top of the door ones.

What do you mean by beltline moldings

Hi downsr, all the companies call them beltline moldings, I've always just called them belt moldings myself.

Hey Steve, yah its the inner and outer fuzzy and weatherstrip combo running on the inside and outside of the channel on the top of the doors and section of quarter panel where the rear side glass is, in other words when your arm is out the window while driving it would be would be resting on top of the door ones.

That's what I thought. It will have a chrome "strip" running down it as well if I'm thinking straight.
Thanks!
A name I've seen more lately is Dixie Restoration. I will have to check them out.

I do not remember where i got those from

The ones I have on my car at the moment are from Year One, those guys are just a distibutor of parts, the actually manufacturer could be anyone. I purchased my belt moldings years ago and only put them on within the last few years.

That's what I thought. It will have a chrome "strip" running down it as well if I'm thinking straight.
Thanks!
A name I've seen more lately is Dixie Restoration. I will have to check them out.

Hi Steve, thank you, Dixie Restoration is showing Top Cat felt moldings, my next question do you have these on your Cuda? or do you know anyone that has them on their car? Its always nice to get some insight from someone that actually has bought the product.

Hi Steve, thank you, Dixie Restoration is showing Top Cat felt moldings, my next question do you have these on your Cuda? or do you know anyone that has them on their car? Its always nice to get some insight from someone that actually has bought the product.

I agree with proper/actual reviews. The ones on Dads/my 67 were already installed when Dad bought it ao I don't have any idea what mfg

I've installed these on my '69 Cuda - from Dixie. They are the only ones I've found to be "correct" with fuzzies on the side that faces the glass. Others have a rubber seal on the outside and is not correct.

I've installed these on my '69 Cuda - from Dixie. They are the only ones I've found to be "correct" with fuzzies on the side that faces the glass. Others have a rubber seal on the outside and is not correct.

Hi RealWing thank you for the response. Just for my own clarification, the belt molding on the inboard channel of your door or the inside of the car is fuzzy and outboard channel portion of the door which is the belt molding exposed to the outside elements would be a combination of fussy strip & rubber seal & stainless strip. If that is correct, does the rubber on your outside belt molding from Dixie stay consistent completely across the horizontal plain where it makes full contact will the door and quarter glass? The rubber seal on my car doesn't, it dips or sinks in areas, where if the seal had been just a much as 1/16th wider then problem would be 100% solved. I believe the main objective is for the least amount of water to make it past down between the seal and the glass and a tight seal would be of great benefit to ensure this, yet not too tight where opening and closing windows becomes a challenge./COLOR]

Hi RealWing thank you for the response. Just for my own clarification, the belt molding on the inboard channel of your door or the inside of the car is fuzzy and outboard channel portion of the door which is the belt molding exposed to the outside elements would be a combination of fussy strip & rubber seal & stainless strip. If that is correct, does the rubber on your outside belt molding from Dixie stay consistent completely across the horizontal plain where it makes full contact will the door and quarter glass? The rubber seal on my car doesn't, it dips or sinks in areas, where if the seal had been just a much as 1/16th wider then problem would be 100% solved. I believe the main objective is for the least amount of water to make it past down between the seal and the glass and a tight seal would be of great benefit to ensure this, yet not too tight where opening and closing windows becomes a challenge./COLOR]

Both the inside and outside weatherstrips from Dixie (Cat Whiskers) are fuzzy and make full contact all the way across. The first photos show the Cat Whisker strips and the last one shows a quarterglass strip that is all rubber on the outside and is incorrect.
Correct - the main purpose is to limit water ingress into the door/quarterpanel.
It took me a while to get the window glass adjusted correctly to get a good consistent seal on the outside and inside.

Jim

Attachments

• IMG_3435.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_3436.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_3371.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_3372.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 153
Both the inside and outside weatherstrips from Dixie (Cat Whiskers) are fuzzy and make full contact all the way across. The first photos show the Cat Whisker strips and the last one shows a quarterglass strip that is all rubber on the outside and is incorrect.
Correct - the main purpose is to limit water ingress into the door/quarterpanel.
It took me a while to get the window glass adjusted correctly to get a good consistent seal on the outside and inside.

Jim

Thank you Jim, that definitely cleared things up 100%, would never have realized this difference without your post. Looks like I'll be adding this to the spring things to do list for the Cuda. Next Mopar show I'm going check how many cars if any have the true correct belt molding for curiousity.

I put top cat in my 72 demon. Man, they are tight !!! I hope they relax some , the window is hard to roll up and down, worried about the handle or other parts.
Yote

-
Back