Bench racing

-

clementine

Flight risk
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey there all fellow gear heads. I have a 383 that came with a 67 barracuda project and was wondering if any of you rocket scientists can predict how much power and attitude this motor will put out. First of all I am making some assumptions on compression ratio, so I know that is a biggie but maybe with cam profile, one of you experienced engine builders can extrude an opinion that you could guess that another experienced engine builder would use this cam in a stock CR or elevated CR......OK? am I crazy? (different thread)

Info that I believe to be correct....
1971 383 casting 2468130-4
8.5:1 compression.....maybe 9? this is the dinger
2.08 intake 1.74 exhaust
head casting 3462346
comp cam 21-248-4 flat tappet
exhaust/intake duration at 050 "lift 250/250
advertised intake/exhaust duration 294/294
lift 0.525int/0.525exh
lobe 110

I will probably go with Schumachers.
Money prevents my twin turbo/methanol injected plans. I have to build now to get it down the road.....first. I am open to cam suggestions. I like a smooth runner vs lumpy. money is an issue but if its money well spent this would be the place to spend it. I like the idea of hydraulic roller. Am I all over the place? (different thread)

Thanks for your time. Hope you are having a great day.

So you want a smooth idle? Not gonna get it with that cam. And you will need a 4500 stall.

LSA of the cam plays a big role in idle quality. You need something more in the 114 degree range for a nicer idle.And less duration,maybe 235 ish..the parts all need to match each other and with a relatively low comression ration,it would mean a milder street oriented cam choice.

Ok! great! that gives me a much better idea of what Im dealing with.

Thank you for your time!

-
Back