bench seat help

-

71autoxr

Reaction score
I have a high back split bench seat from an a-body with armrest, that someone slapped into an earlier 2 door dart. I think the seat must be out of a 4 door as there is no adjuster, and the seat does not lay forward to allow people in back. Are the 2 door seats completely different or is there just a hinge installed? I like the look of the seat so if you can tell me the application that might help me find a replacement if I need one. ( the picture shows the drivers seat forward as I took it apart and removed the lock arm.)

Attachments

• P1010039.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 225
I have a high back split bench seat from an a-body with armrest, that someone slapped into an earlier 2 door dart. I think the seat must be out of a 4 door as there is no adjuster, and the seat does not lay forward to allow people in back. Are the 2 door seats completely different or is there just a hinge installed? I like the look of the seat so if you can tell me the application that might help me find a replacement if I need one. ( the picture shows the drivers seat forward as I took it apart and removed the lock arm.)

Looks like the one in my 73 Dart Custom 4-door. I have since re-upholstered the seat, for obvious reasons. Hope the photo is helpful.

Attachments

• 32d9_1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 235
  • 4513_1.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 202
73+ deluxe interior seat. I'd really like to know too if you can convert one to work in a 2 door. I heard of it being done, but not how its done.

thats the same shape seat thats in my 76 valiant, only its a 4 door and the seatback dont lean forward.

Almost 99% certain you can convert them.

I have both a 4 door high back seat, and a 2 door low back with head rests, and the hinges are the same. The 4 door seat has a plate that locks the seat to keep it from folding. Remove that and grab all the stuff off a 2 door seat and swap it on. The pins and stuff are all there.

Worse case, just pop the cover off and remove the plate, then put the cover back on. It will fold, but it wont stay up if you brake hard.

Pretty sure that even the f-body stuff will work. Just look at the hinge cover, pretty sure they are all the same.

The real problem is reworking a set of buckets out of a 4 door to fold. That was a real hassle.

Almost 99% certain you can convert them.

I have both a 4 door high back seat, and a 2 door low back with head rests, and the hinges are the same. The 4 door seat has a plate that locks the seat to keep it from folding. Remove that and grab all the stuff off a 2 door seat and swap it on. The pins and stuff are all there.

Worse case, just pop the cover off and remove the plate, then put the cover back on. It will fold, but it wont stay up if you brake hard.

Pretty sure that even the f-body stuff will work. Just look at the hinge cover, pretty sure they are all the same.

The real problem is reworking a set of buckets out of a 4 door to fold. That was a real hassle.

Dion would you have a pic of the hinges from the 2 door car. Since I dont have that I'm looking to see what I m up against.

Converting a fixed bench to a 2 fold is pretty much impossible. Compare this to converting a standard arm chair to a recliner except you'll need a welder along with the parts.

Here are a couple of pictures for you to look at. The white seat was out of a 2 door, the black one is out of a 4 door. Just for reference, the last picture shows the locking plate above the 2 door parts. Let me know if it doesn't make sense, I will try and explain.

Note that in both case the seat is already folded.

Parts133.jpg

Parts134.jpg

Parts136.jpg

Parts137.jpg

Thanks Dion, that's what I expected. It's an easy conversion with the right parts. MIne has the locking plate now. Time to put the word out that I need a set of those clips and springs. As well as the covers.

Just to reiterate, don't overlook F-Bodies. I think even the buckets use the same parts and covers. Not sure about the M and J bodies, but I would guess that any 2 door of those body styles would be the same.

Oh, and make sure to grab the plastic washers/spacers under the release. Meant to take a picture of the parts when they were loose, but forgot.

-
Back