Bench to Buckets

-

Dragnut

Reaction score
So im getting ready to convert my 66 Dart from Bench seat to buckets, does anyone know if the floor is dimpled for buckets from the factory? Or do I have to basicly make my own holes?

My 67 had dimples in the floor, but they needed to be drilled. Also, the openings should be reinforced (weld in a washer, or use the proper rectangular plates). Be careful and actually measure out the hole centers using the bucket tracks as a guide — the dimples are sloppy and I almost drilled through a brake line when I did it 25 years ago.

In a 65 A I had to locate and drill my own holes .Also had reinforce the floor under the holes . You may even have to raise one side of each seat with a spacer to make it level. The bench holes may not be the proper location for buckets in early A body . It would be best to get measurements from a factory bucket seat car before you drill.

After much research looking under many cars at Carlisle I did this in my 64 last summer.

Look under the car near the rocker panels. You will see some reinforcement brackets that the bench seat studs pass through. Look for another hole that is located in the bracket, not through the floor though.That is the location of the outer-most studs. Drill through from the bottom in those locations.

Use your seat brackets to locate the inner stud locations. Make SURE the seat brackets are attached to the seats, with either both sides all the way back, or all the way forward when you mark the inner stud locations. The factory welded plates about 3-1/2" square on the top of the floor pan, 1/8" thick is good, at the inner holes only. Maybe 1//2" welds, 2 per side is good.

The center floor hump in not centered in the car! Its offset about 2" to the right. Because of that, the seats are not symmetrical in the car and the passenger seat ends up being closer to the door.

AMD sells reinforcing plates if you don't want to make your own.

Last edited:
63-65 seats are wider than 66 seats with the corresponding change with the mounting brackets as well should you be considering 63-65 seats

63-65 seats are wider than 66 seats with the corresponding change with the mounting brackets as well should you be considering 63-65 seats
Im actually using some Smittybuilt low back bucket seats with 65 Dart Gt bucket brackets. They will fit width wise. Thanks for the info

After much research looking under many cars at Carlisle I did this in my 64 last summer.

Look under the car near the rocker panels. You will see some reinforcement brackets that the bench seat studs pass through. Look for another hole that is located in the bracket, not through the floor though. that is the location of the outer-most studs. drill through from the bottom in those locations.

Use your seat brackets to locate the inner stud locations. Make SURE the seat brackets are attached to the seats, with either both sides all the way back, or all the way forward when you mark the inner stud locations. The factory welded plates about 3-1/2" square on the top of the floor pan, 1/8" thick is good, at the inner holes only. Maybe 1//2" welds, 2 per side is good.

The seats are not symmetrical in the car. the passenger seat ends up being closer to the door.

AMD sells reinforcing plates if you don't want to make your own.
Thanks for that info, so the reinforcing plates go on top of the floor not underneath?

Thanks for that info, so the reinforcing plates go on top of the floor not underneath?

That is correct. This is my 68 passenger side forward-most plate near the floor hump. It measures 4" X 4-1/2" but they don't need to be that big. The outer holes are reinforced by the brackets that go to the rockers.

20221218_204231.jpg

-
Back