Bending a sway bar

-
Maybe you could bend a 1" offset on both ends in between the 90 and the mounting hole. Provided there is nothing in the way it would look good compared to an over bent 90.

I'm in the fit & figure stage right now, putting the mounts between the saddles an springs to locate the bar. Then see if I have room around exhaust, tires, etc. Then comes the bending.

No help on the rear bar, but how did you mount the E body front sway bar? I put one from a 70 Roadrunner, which is the same thing as an E body bar in my old 64 Belvedere wagon many moons ago. Used the factory Early B body k frame and just cut a notch in each side so I could pass the bar thru the k frame like it was on the Roadrunner. Drilled holes for the mounts to the bottom of the k frame just like the Roadrunner and used the lower control arms from the Roadrunner with the inner style sway bar tabs. Worked slicker'n cat poop on linoleum...lol.

Yep, that's pretty much how I did it.

20151008_134607.jpg

I got to thinking about the rear bar....do you think if you modified the bracket that bolts between the springs and the rearend housing, would it be easier and less risky than bending the bar? Maybe weld a new tab 1" outboard to each one if that wouldn't cause interference with the brakes?

No, hadn't considered that. The bar's overall width (at the corners) is exactly at the outside of my springs, so the eyes on the bar would protrude 1/2 to 3/4 inch beyond.

We bend them from time to time. In a batch of 50 Helwig bars they can vary up to 1" in eye to eye and anything off more than 1/4" will get "adjusted". Fog, the HDK fab guy, uses his hydraulic tubing bender.

if you never try....you may never know.

Last edited:
Well, that turned into a whole lot of nothing. The mounting brackets wouldn't fit, as that section of framerail is wider than on the Challenger... also looks like the exhaust will be in the way. Back on the shelf it goes, guess I've got an E body sway bar for sale.

-
Back