Bending heater core tubes

-

dodgemahal

Reaction score
What is the best method or tool to use to bend heater core pipes without damaging them. I need to tweak them to get them to line up with the hole in the fire wall. I have both the Aluminum and brass versions if anyone knows if one is easier to bend than the other. 1973 Dodge Dart.

I would think you would be able to tweek them by hand no problem, brass or aluminum. They shouldn't be off too far then just slightly bending them. If they're off that much where they don't line up pretty close to the holes in the firewall, somethings wrong. Either they were made wrong or damaged in shipping, but you would see damage on the package they were in. Just my 2cents.

Be careful trying to bend those tubes for alignment, it cost me a trip to the radiator shop.

Be careful trying to bend those tubes for alignment, it cost me a trip to the radiator shop.
Save yourself an emergency trip and just take it to the shop and let them bend them if they are off a lot. Are you sure you got the right core? Same as the one that came out? Bring both (original and new) and for like $25 they can fix you up.

Save yourself an emergency trip and just take it to the shop and let them bend them if they are off a lot. Are you sure you got the right core? Same as the one that came out? Bring both (original and new) and for like $25 they can fix you up.
I'm positive they are the same as the one that came out. Got them both at RockAuto. The new brass and aluminum pieces are identical and the tubes on both are oriented identically, except for they are oriented different than my OEM piece. They are off by a slight amount, but keeps them from fitting through the firewall cut-out hole. Looking at comments online it seems this is a very common problem. I'm concerned I'll break a weld.

You need to figure out a way to NOT stress the joints. Got some larger wood drills? Drill a 2x4 to pass the tube, saw it in half and use it as a clamp on the tube in your vise. How valuable is the car? I would be temped to just cut the holes a bit, punch them oblong, and if necessary, make an overlay plate to cover.

-
Back