Bending Tubing

-

38 Dodge

Reaction score
Ok now I'm pissed I have destroyed enough tubing to do two cars. I have tried everthing I can think of to bend this crap to fit its either bent to short or to long not the right angle to shrape of a bend. I'm over it I have used rod to follow the old line to match up the bends and I still F#$% it up. So enough venting what id any secrets are out there to do this as I'm down to my last nerve and amount of tubing. If I could find this for my 62 Wagon trust me I would have sent that route.

Do you have an arc length/regression formula?

If not, send me a PM with your e-mail. I have one that will help you out.

what type of tubing are you bending?

If it's brake line tubing, 3/16 stuff, I use a small 1/4 drive socket, like 5/16 or 3/8, in my vise. You can't just bend it on one point, you have to move it sort of like a mandrel will pull it around the die. If you concentrate the bend on one point it will kink badly.

Use a coat hanger to mimic your desired line, then bend line to the coat hanger. Fine tune as needed.

That sheet I sent you was really for doing roll bars etc.

I bent these using the method mentioned above.

Brakelines001.jpg

Brakelines002.jpg

I tried the coat hanger I tried the steel rods I've tried everything I can think of I either bend it too long or too short hell I even bent the wrong direction. I son't know I'll try again until I screw up what I have left then I'll figure something else out

Are you using benders or bare hands ?

I think alot has to do with I have no experiance or patients for this and now I'm pissed so that makes it even worst that is why I'm in here on the computer and not trying to destory what tubing I have left

crackedback, what a great job you did I wish you were my neighbor right now. I'm bending 5/16 tubing for my fuel line

Steel 5/16 tubing you need to watch the radius you use, too tight and bad news.

Step aside, cool down and start fresh. We all know what tools look like flying across the shop like Nolan Ryan blazing a fastball at the plate. LOL

Use a 3/8 drive socket as the minimum radius for you bends

one tip that I was given a long time ago, make sure that the seam on the tubing is not on the "absolute" inside or outside of your bends. The seam is not near as flexible as the tubing itself and tends to "wrinkle" or kink if you put to much pressure on it. Just a thought, good luck!!!!!!!

Thanks for the help i'm going to give it a rest tonight and go back and pick it up tomorrow after work. If you hear a loud noise it will be me tearing the garage apart if I screw this up again:)

Take Crackedback's advice. He did a great job on his lines. Step back, take a break. Knock boots with the Mrs. Whatever works for you.
When you get back to it, relax, take your time, double check your bends for direction two or three times before you bend it.

As far as benders go. Use either the socket method mentioned or get a bender for the specific size tube you are working with. Those multiple size benders that you get at discount stores cause more trouble than they are worth. Seeing how you seem to have scrap pieces, (I'm guessing), practice your bends with that first. You can even cut and tape your scraps together for an idea of your routing and bends.

I bought all my brake lines and fuel line from inlinetube.com. All were pre-bent. They actually fit great. Just had to do a little adjustment. It was not that expensive (4 years ago). Believe me it was worth the money. I attempted some bending and went with inlinetube.

Dave Davis

Thanks for teh manual. I scanned it and have a copy in my garage thanks

-
Back