Best 180* Thermostat Brand

-

OwdKasd

Reaction score
I know this has been asked b4 but search came up empty. I have read for hours and it seems like 180* is the most recommended temp. I would like to get a very high quality T-stat to replace mine. Mine seems to be a 160* based on the Autometer Gauge but it may not even have one. This car was a drag car converted back to street. I have no problems but I just don't want to run too Cool and cause engine wear. I only drive my Dart about 500 miles a year to local cruise ins. 318 Engine.

I would get a genuine Mopar T-stat but when I go to the Dodge Dealer they say they don't go back that far on their computer.

If The ones at parts stores are any good I'll go with that but I don't want to create a problem.

Thanks for any advice.

i think there only 2 t stats a small and a big my dakota has the small one and i run the same one in my 416 with the airgap i run a 180 from nappa ma always used 195 t stats i would of to but they only had the 180 on hand 160 is to cold

Stant has never let me down. 195 is a good temp too, the higher you go, the more complete the combustion, to a point.

In the past, when a thermostat has failed, it has failed in the closed position. Severely startled me the first time it happened. I thought I blown the engine. I've never had one fail "open".

I've always preferred Robert Shaw Thermostats when I could get them. The company also makes HVAC thermostats, too (won't work in this application). I'll take a brass brand X as a second choice.

Sometimes I can't be picky. In this case, I check the thermostat when I change out the coolant.

-
Back