best 727 street/strip rebuild kit

-

dustinmoran91

Reaction score
What is the best 727 rebuild kit? Looking for a manual foward valve body. I know that summit sells a b&m overhaul kit that converts your regular valve body to foward manual. Has anyone used this. Will eventually be behind a 500hp minimum small block. I already swapped my long tail shaft over into a short tail housing and that went super easy.

Say what? You swapped your long tailshaft to a short tailshaft??? To do that you have to completely disassemble the entire transmission as the shaft comes out the front and you would never swap to a short tailshaft for a car because the only thing that used a short tailshaft was a HD truck or motorhome. All cars and light duty trucks had long tailshafts.

As far as a rebuild kit, the B&M kit is basically stock stuff repackaged with a shift improver kit added. You pay more bucks for the B&M name IMO

Sorry may have said that wrong, i put the long shaft in the short shaft housing. The short shaft case was in better condition so i decided to use it. And yeah i dissasembled them and put it together as kind of a mock up lol

Do you know of a better kit by chance that doesnt use stock stuff?

Sorry for the confusion lol yeah the long shaft case was coroded so ibjust swapped the shaft into my short shaft case and now that im familiar with it i wanna do a performance rebuild

Sorry may have said that wrong, i put the long shaft in the short shaft housing. The short shaft case was in better condition so i decided to use it. And yeah i dissasembled them and put it together as kind of a mock up lol

Do you know of a better kit by chance that doesnt use stock stuff?

I understand now. The kit Crackedback suggested is a real good kit. In fact I bet it's the exact same parts B&M reboxes with their name on it. It'll take 500+ hp no problem at all. If you want to upgrade Bulkpart has Red clutch plates and bands also. A big part of making a trans. handle a lot of power is getting all the clearances right (tight so there's no slop but not too tight as to bind up) and running a real good valve body or shift kit that doesn't overlap or flare up.

That's a good kit except for a couple things.

1st is I'm not sure about that rear servo. I don't know if it's the same one I bought several yrs. ago but I bought a Sonnax servo for a trans. I was doing and fit real sloppy. I found a used stock one that fit a lot tigher. You do need to upgrade but you really need a good billet servo.

2nd is you should upgrade to a real good bolt in rear sprague. Definetly don't rely on the stock sprague rollers and spring in that kit and not even the cheap $80 one will do for what your saying your hp level is going to be. You need a 6 bolt super sprague. Cope, Andrews, and A&A all sell them.

What ratio front band apply lever does your trans. have?

I have no idea what ratio the levers are, my boss who builds turbo400's for his drag truck said he often leaves the front band out i think or maybe its the rear idk lol but he said its less drag and when lets off the gas he just coasts intead of slowing down and drives it on the street aswell anyone ever tried that?

I have no idea what ratio the levers are, my boss who builds turbo400's for his drag truck said he often leaves the front band out i think or maybe its the rear idk lol but he said its less drag and when lets off the gas he just coasts intead of slowing down and drives it on the street aswell anyone ever tried that?

There's only 1 shift lever that you can change in a torqueflite and you can't compare anything in them to a turbo 400 cause their absolutely nothing alike. I believe it is the front band that is left out of a Turbo 400 but it does a different job in them. Leave the front band out of a torqueflite and you won't have 2nd gear. Don't think you can do ANYTHING to a torqueflite that you do to a turbo 400 and you'll be way ahead.

will this set-up hold behind 650 crank hp?

It takes good clutch material and kolene plates to withstand 650 for an extended period as well as blueprinted clearances. The kit Dustin posted the link to in post # 11 will do the trick but read what I said about it in post # 12

Fishy68 - I would like to say thank you for these posts. I have been in the process of re-building my 727 and these threads helped a lot.

-
Back