Best available stock stroke race head

-

joes68340s

Reaction score
What head do most people like that is available for a stock stroke 340-360 race engine. I would like aluminum but doesnt have to be. Im running lots of compression about 13-1 and big solid cam. I already have a collection of w2 parts but I havent committed to them yet.

The best you can get is the W series from Mopar. Otherwise your looking at Eddys, Indys, or Brodix (that last two are quite a bit of $$$$). One thing to think about is if your going to upgrade to the W series later then I would just buy a set of Eddys until I could get my hands on the W series. Although my 340 isn't a race engine, I have eddy closed chamber heads and a stock stroke, .030 over bore, and a full roller setup (cam, lifters, rocker arms).

I agree. The W2 is the best iron head for what your doing. You can get them for 648 naked. MP does sell a set complete but small chambered @ 55cc's, $683, from Jegs, --> http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar+Performance/312/P5007089/10002/-1

While the closed chamber does you know good, the Edelbrock heads are also a excellent idea. The best part is they take OE rockers, not the offset style. Except the IDNY versions.

Both heads can be ported out real well with the W2 have a slight edge in cfm flow. Of course, there also a little more expensive. Current styles need rocker stands (No more econo's?) If you allready have roller rockers for standard heads, you'll justneed 8 offset. Purchasing the W2 rockers as W2 rocker sets are pricey. I found sometimes that a purchase of regular roller rockers and then 8 offset rockers works out to be cheaper.

Weird huh?

The Brodix are also excellent, but a tad pricey for little gain.

would it be worth it to go with econo heads that have a little work verses just porting my x heads.

It would take basicly a fully ported X head to out do a as cast W2 head. Since the W2 has some work done to it, the X head probably can not out flow the W2 head. At this point, it's a cost balance issue for you.
The cheapest I found roller rockers is a purchase of a reguglar set and then 8 off set.

Can you find the econo heads? I dont think there making them anymore. (Figures, just when I'm ready to try out a set... AKA Have money for this.... they stop making them.)

Crane now makes the W2 roller rockers again...they sell them individually for around 30 dollars each...the stands are not that expensive...it is the off set shafts for the race heads that are 150.00 each...

Harland Sharp sell a complete sell with shafts and stands for almost 1000.00 ....they also sell Econo roller rocker set up too...which is a little cheaper due to not needing the stands.

-
Back