Best cam for the street both power & sound

-
I have the XE 268 in my 340, and I LOVE it. It has a nice choppy idle, and plenty of power. It might be a bit much for the average 318, so the XE 262 would probably be a good choice.
This. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Show me the specs on it
  • Mega-Cams™
  • Hyd.
  • Single Bolt
  • Valve Lift Int/Ext. 00.450
  • Valve Lash Hot Int/Ext. 0.000
  • ADV Duration Int/Ext. 264
  • 0.050 Duration Int/Ext. 214
  • Lobe Center 108
The 108 will give it a little bit of chop and also help maintain cylinder pressure. About 48 degrees of overlap.

Hell, I knew everything by the time I was 18.

I’ve spent the last 40 years figuring out I didn’t know crapola at 18 and still don’t lol.
The longer I’m alive, the more I realize the less I actually know.

Crap! Did I just quote my Mom from 45 years ago?

To the original poster:
Go old school, and just do some bolt on's. Day 2 ****.
Look closely at this stock bottem end 318.
Sneaky little teen, could put the smack down if your not ready.
Wait a minute...HiPo 340 exhaust manifolds on a 318 ? :)

Picture 498.jpg

Last edited:
The longer I’m alive, the more I realize the less I actually know.

Crap! Did I just quote my Mom from 45 years ago?
That's the truth right there. When you start thinkin you know it all, you better knock yourself down a peg or three. lol I still love learnin new things.

To the original poster:

View attachment 1716270066
Showoff. lol You should hire out to detail engine bays.

To the original poster:
i collected a lot of money off of the unsuspecting with a 318 that just "had headers and a 4bbl" and looked to be the brother from another mother to that motor, right down to the parts store special chrome air cleaner.

agree to the day two action. throw mellow little cam and intake at it, snap on a reasonable 4bbl and go terrorize the locals. you want the zoom-zooms? build another motor on the side while you cruise around and enjoy the car with that one.

To the original poster:

View attachment 1716270066
Only in So Cal could that be a driver, around here you'd need a dust buster every hour to keep the engine that clean, even in the shop.

around here you'd need a dust buster every hour to keep the engine that clean, even in the shop.
Fine desert dust is a daily thing around here too. Plus the wind everyday 15-25 mph.
It does seem the under hood collects it the worst.

Build a 360. Even with low compression it will be miles ahead of a 318. Then just swap it in when you’re ready. A B&M flex plate and a modified drivers Side engine bracket and your done. All your other upgrades will work better with it. Kim

I sure hope we didn't scare off RighteousWrenching144 the original poster.
I realized that I for one got off track,way off. Sometimes forgetting the posters need for information.
So if you are still here, I apologize.If you can I hope you got something from this that will help you.

So yall think the 5.9 is a better option?
I am supposed to go look at some engines this week. Guy om facebook marketplace has like (5) 318's and (4) 360's for 200 each
They are fairly decent cores but do you all think i could get decent millage out of a 360? In comparison with the 318? Or is the power of the 5.9 worth it over the 5.2?
I just want a good hopped up daily driver not a full blown 11s drag car lol

You really won't have much difference millage as long as you keep your foot out of it.
Like many have said cost for building is just about the same.
The saying when I was young was "There's no substitute for cubic inches"
Yeah, I hear it coming TURBO. :)

You really won't have much difference millage as long as you keep your foot out of it.
Like many have said cost for building is just about the same.
The saying when I was young was "There's no substitute for cubic inches"
Yeah, I hear it coming TURBO. :)
You’re late to the party on the turbo…. Was about 40 post back.. :poke:

I just want a good hopped up daily driver not a full blown 11s drag car lol
Generally what's considered more race oriented is engines the make hp at higher rpms, and 318 will almost always need more rpm gears stall to be similarly fast as a 360, if you want most idle to 4000 rpm performance that's mostly done with displacement. Generally .07-1 hp per cid is arguably considered daily driver performance level.

-
Back