best distributor

-

71dustar

Reaction score
So within the next two weeks i should have the motor and trans in my duster. I'll still need few items but was wondering what is the best distributor? I want to keep the wires to a minimum (also hidden) so is there a distributor that has the coil built inside or a nice compact design.

I bought an Accel but it has an external coil. It is still a great piece.
I actually mounted the coil low on the inner fender so it is out of sight.

The only bad thing about the DUI is that I dont think you can run the dist with the coil in it when you have a small block in an a body. I think there's a problem with firewall clearance.

The only bad thing about the DUI is that I dont think you can run the dist with the coil in it when you have a small block in an a body. I think there's a problem with firewall clearance.

This is correct. The cap/coil combo is too large for A body small blocks. They do have a stock size cap and HEI unit that uses an external mounted coil. No need to mount a control unit as it is attached to the distributor. Like several other suppliers they will custom the advance to your engine specs before shipping.

http://www.performancedistributors.com/dodgetripower.htm

That is possible; it's a pretty large distributor. I'm not aware of any small coil in cap designs, though.

I'm pretty sure the only difference between Magnum and non-Magnum distributors is the electronics (Magnum engines are crank triggered in stock form). If you're not running a Magnum computer, a non-Magnum distributor should work from what I've seen.

-
Back