Best electronic ignition for driver 360?

-

1974DartSwinger

Reaction score
Hey all, I want to ditch the points on my '66 Barracuda. Its gotta stock 360 4bbl in it now. I mainly just cruise around, don't care about revving to the moon or anything! Would you guys give me some insider information about the different electronic ignition upgrades out there?
I'm thinking about the standard Mopar performance kit with the orange box or the mancini racing equivalent. Are there any better ones out there for a driver? I've seen some kits that you just replace the "guts" of the dizzy and that appeals to my "keep it stock looking/sleeper" side. I basically dont want a big ol' honkin' MSD box chillin right on my fender or inside my winshield washer fluid container!

Ideas?

Very cheap, reliable, and more effective than Mopar electronic: see here (linked quickie video shows a slant-6 installation; on a V8 you can hide the module under the distributor with a bracket made for the purpose)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sV1BhSPyySE"]YouTube- Slant six electronic ignition[/ame]

Haha nice / 6 video. I guess my question would be more along the lines of which electronic ignition is the most stock looking (bye bye MSD), more reliable and easiest to install. Is there really anyone that stands out from the rest?

Haha nice / 6 video. I guess my question would be more along the lines of which electronic ignition is the most stock looking (bye bye MSD), more reliable and easiest to install. Is there really anyone that stands out from the rest?

Not a mopar unit thats for sure..if you do use one,don't forget to bring alone extra components like ballast resistor,ignition modual,coil ect..

Yeah, MSD is kinda coasting along on an old reputation that isn't necessarily deserved any more; they've outsourced most of their manufacturing to you-know-where and quality/reliability seem to have taken a real dive. I used to like MSD just fine, though it was never as magical as they claimed it to be.

I have Petronix on the 273 in my '64 Dart, but only because the previous owner put it there. It works okeh, but I would not choose it for the simple reason that repair parts aren't available except from the manufacturer. When a failure happens, I want to be able to walk into any auto parts store or wrecking yard, easily and inexpensively get a repair part, and be on my way quickly. And while I could double double spend spend to keep a stash of repair parts in the car, I don't like to do so unless there's a compelling reason to pick a system that requires it. Pertronix offers no such compelling reason. But yes, it does "hide" well if a bone-stock engine compartment is a priority.

A multi sparking ignition is best for a driver. Be it a MSD or Mallory or whatever, the multi spark helps burn all the fuel mixture up for more power and mileage. The best spot to "Hide" one is under the battery tray.

IF your still not going to get one, A Summit kit just like the MoPar kit is currently on sale for I think $166. I just installed one in my Magnum.

i just bought the msd all in one unit because i didn't want an ignition box hanging around. all you need is a coil and the dist. plus hook three wires up.

Ease of parts and finding things when it breaks, run a stock chrysler set up. You can get a spare box/resistor to throw in the car.

I have never had an issue with the stock Chysler stuff. Why is it I always read about the need to carry "spare" parts? I guess I must be lucky or something. I currently own 7 Chysler veihicles with the stock style ignition and every one fires up every time.

Use the stock style stuff.

Chuck

Ease of parts and finding things when it breaks, run a stock chrysler set up. You can get a spare box/resistor to throw in the car.

Thats great buy an ignition system you need to carry spare parts for in fear of breaking down:mrgreen::mrgreen:..just buy an msd and be done,my system has performed flawlessly for 4+ seasons of hard racing..mopar quality went out the door years ago..

What I'm going to run in my '65 is an MP distributor and I'm hiding the control box. FBO is nothign special and the orange box pulls out timing about 3500rpm so I'm running the Standard Ignition LX-101. That setup is dead stock reliable and all parts can be gotten at any parts store if needed. The harness can be gotten cheap, the distributor is the pricey part. As for a non-factory appearance the MSD with the built in module and electronic advances would be the new hot street setup. It's basically a 6A and pro billet in one part, with three wires to hook up and nothing else. There is little comparison between any factory based distributor and a good multi-spark setup from MSD. The MSDs really are that much better. But the cost is almost 3 times as much and they don't look original. Crane also has some good stuff but no distributors, they are all add-on boxes.

It works okeh, but I would not choose it for the simple reason that repair parts aren't available except from the manufacturer. When a failure happens, I want to be able to walk into any auto parts store or wrecking yard, easily and inexpensively get a repair part, and be on my way quickly.

just put a set of points in the glove box. its easy enough to just pull the pertronix out and install the points if there is a problem. and ya can do it on the side of the road if need be, jamies dart has pertronix (previous owner installed) been stone reliable for us. also know a few other friends using it and stone reliable for them too.

MP distributor and I'm hiding the control box. FBO is nothign special and the orange box pulls out timing about 3500rpm so I'm running the Standard Ignition LX-101. That setup is dead stock reliable and all parts can be gotten at any parts store if needed.

thats what i'm running in my dart. that standard box has been great for me.

My vote would be for a Mopar Performance distributor with a stock replacement ignition module.

The MP distributor looks stock from the out side but is built by Mallory and uses the Mallory designed adjustable mechanical advance mechanism. It is set up with a performance curve for a stock engine but will give you the flexability to modify it easily in the future if you make changes.

Any of the performance control modules only extend the rpm range they do not increase the output at lower rpms you would see crusing. So the Standard Ignition LX101 mentioned by a few folks would be a perfect fit.

Contrary to the naysers the mopar electronic ignition system provided millions of miles of trouble free service to 100,000's of owners.

Contrary to the naysers the mopar electronic ignition system provided millions of miles of trouble free service to 100,000's of owners.

Really.. i can recall at least 3 times a mopar ignition part left me stranded on the road,and now that i mainly do what the car was built for race it,i trust nothing but msd it has NEVER failed me..and running a mopar system and running an msd system is like night and day..msd handsdown the winner :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I'm on the fence right now between the PerTronix and the Mopar kit available everywhere. Like I said, my main concern is driveability, reliability and MPG. I'm not planning on revving the 360 anywhere over say 5,500. While on that note, what is a good "red line" to live by with these motors in a fairly stock set up?

Abodyjoe- I saw on the pertronix site they have 3 different "ignitor" kits 1, 2 and 3. I've been reading about the different set ups, which one are you running? I guess there really isn't a reason to go with the 2 or 3 except the 3 gives you a rev limiter. So I would be able to get multi spark with just dropping in the ignitor 1 kit and one of their 40,000 V coils? Do you ditch the ballast resistor with this set up? What all has to be done when installing this kit? How does the spark advance work with this kit and is it adjustable, does it still run off the factory vac advance and/or are there different springs with the kit?

Haha, I was right there with ya thinking about keeping the stock points set up in the trunk "just in case".

Anyone see any advantage with a Mopar dizzy kit over the pertronix set up?

I'm on the fence right now between the PerTronix and the Mopar kit available everywhere. Like I said, my main concern is driveability, reliability and MPG.
Then run an msd for all 3 reasons..

Haha, I was right there with ya thinking about keeping the stock points set up in the trunk "just in case".

Just incase won't apply if you run an msd ....

Is there any option to run MSD without the big box? Do they make some sort of "compact" set up?
What all is required to go MSD then? I'm starting with just a stock points set up so give me a shopping list and i"ll see whats up
Thanks!

Abodyjoe- I saw on the pertronix site they have 3 different "ignitor" kits 1, 2 and 3. I've been reading about the different set ups, which one are you running?

not really sure. it was on the car when we got it in 03 or 04. it is probably the 1 i would assume.

-
Back