Best gas for our Mopars

-

dans4door1970

Reaction score
I'm confused. Shell brags to have the most additives but the same company delivers to my grocery store and the Shell station. One of my friends says the truck driver adds the additional service pack additives for Shell even though it starts out as the same gas. Does anyone know the truth? Am I waisting money buying the more expensive Shell product? I would like the truth or is it an oil company secret?

Only thing makes any of it better, is to buy ethanol free premium. Everything else is crap in my opinion

Try other gas stations paying attention to the octane rating. All the gas in my town comes from the same place a few miles out of town and the only difference is the additives. What's your engine build? Although they run better with 93 you may not need it. I too recommend non ethanol.

Try other gas stations paying attention to the octane rating. All the gas in my town comes from the same place a few miles out of town and the only difference is the additives. What's your engine build? Although they run better with 93 you may not need it. I too recommend non ethanol.
I've run non-ethanol and shell, seem to run similar. 10-1 comp.

Yes, but who puts the additives in and where?

Truck drivers don't add jack dammit to gas. Whoever told you that is a f#*@in idiot.

Truck drivers don't add jack dammit to gas. Whoever told you that is a f#*@in idiot.
He's right! The drivers don't add anything.
But, the EPA requires all fuel grades and brands contain detergents additives. So what does that mean?
If you have to do it anyway, you might as well use it to your advantage and use it as a marketing tool.
Shell is taking advantage of a law by saying we're adding all of this out of our good graces. It's not illegal and most people don't know better. BP does the same thing. Truth is, everyone has to do it.
If your engine is running fine on 87 octane, and isn't knocking or pinging, you're probably okay. The higher the compression, the higher the octane rating you should go. But.....you got to be careful of the names and watch the #'s. In Ohio where I live, the Speedway up the street sells Premium at 92 Octane, but just 5 miles down the road and across the Ohio River in KY the Premium grade is 90 Octane. Again, legal.
Another huge thing to watch for, as mentioned above, is Ethanol.
There is a difference between pure gasoline and ethanol blends. A lot of states require the blending of ethanol into the higher octane gas to get the higher rating. This is also the major reason we don't get the better MPG numbers with higher octane gas. E10 is the tip off your getting ethanol.
Now, sitting in that class on fuel and octane ratings has finally come in handy. The sad part is I could really bore you about diesel cetane ratings.

this is true ! I had an mother, and an uncle both worked in a refinery. altho she was in the office, and he was in the blending department. all gas here comes from the same place, same gas. they blend each companies additive in at the refinery. same w/ all the oil additives.

this is true ! I had an mother, and an uncle both worked in a refinery. altho she was in the office, and he was in the blending department. all gas here comes from the same place, same gas. they blend each companies additive in at the refinery. same w/ all the oil additives.
So. again. are each company's then different or the same

I plan my motors for the environment they must survive. Know your environment. I count on 91 octane (not all stations have 93), and I count on 10% ethanol. I am perfectly fine with 8:5 to 1 compression for the street. Less compression allows the total timing to be bumped up a little more.... My "low dollar 318" might have 8:1 compression, maybe. I also have initial timing at 22* and total timing at 42*. No pinging and E.T. proof this is where it likes to run.

I purchased a 1968 Hemi Roadrunner, new. It REQUIRED Sunoco 260 102 octane gas. It would knock on 98 octane. lol
Not to mention that it got about 9 mpg's. lol

My 72 Swinger runs are 87 octane quite well. 318/904 It's got an old (NOS) Edlebrock 318 Streetmaster intake, with a rebuilt 625cfm AFB ( found both at the Turkey Run a couple of years ago), with a 904 and a 340 kick down linkage. Cam is a little better than stock, too. No. it's not a race car by any stretch of the imagination. It's a cruiser, and it'll pull about 17mpg's

Last edited:
So. again. are each company's then different or the same
They are different, but basically all do the same thing. In the end, they're detergents. So the question is kinda like asking, do you like Tide, All, Snuggle or Purex? They all clean your clothes but I bet Tide sells more because it's advertised a lot more.

-
Back