best gear oil for a 8 3/4 sure grip

-

mopar3401987

Reaction score
Looking for the best gear oil for my 8 3/4 suregrip what weight should I run? the guys at auto zone tell me 70w but I do not trust them ! Any any particular brands or additives I should add thank you

There correct. Don't sweet the small stuff. GeR oil is heavy. Thicker heavier stuff for more road use and long term on the road use.
I have use Mobil synth. & there own label. No issues, thousands and thousands of miles on each.

Everyone has their own ideas but I think synthetics are the way to go now. 75/90 Lucas Pure Synthetic Gear Oil sounds good, and it is made for linited slip diffs. I think I'm going to buy some for my next gear swap.

I read this in Mopar Muscle a few years ago:

I have a '65 Barracuda, Formula S that I bought new. It's about time to change lubricant in the rear axle which has the Sure Grip unit. What Lubricant do I need to use? I recall that it is something unusual. I bought some stuff from the dealer, but when I looked at the bottle, it said not for use in units earlier then '68.

Answer: What works well with your Sure Grip rear axle is Mobil 1 synthetic rear-axle lubricant SAE 75 W90. Add one small bottle of GM limited-slip differential lubricant additive. This works better then oils of the past, whether in hot or cold weather, racing or street driving. I hope this helps ya.

Thanks for the in put I swap rear ends out a lot I have 2 8 3/4 3rd members one 3.23 and one 3.91 one I use for the street one for the track

I think a lot of the manufacturers of rear end components recommend conventional only. That said it probably doesn't make much of a difference. Conventional 85/140 Torco RGO for me with a bottle of ford friction modifier.

-
Back