Best Gears for a 408 Stroker?

-
I have a sure grip 489 case with 3:73 gears in it. Too hot
You could find some used gears. :BangHead::BangHead: Or a 2.94 open carrier and add a sure grip. I would stick with the 3.23's and don't drive 80 on the highway. You can't have it all without a overdrive.

Lowering blocks. :)

mP6soyUl.jpg

2380 rpm @ 70 mph w/3.91 gears and a 28 inch tire using Mikes calculator.

Too hot w/3.73 gears???? Thphhhh ROFLMAO!

Delusional is a word that comes to mind here.

2161 w/3.55’s and the above values. 9.727 first gear ratio, very close to the 10.00 first gear ratio I suggest.

Yeah, and I already know better. Where should I look for 2:94 gears? I can find 3:23’s but no 2:94’s

Man, I live in cali. I need to hit the freeway fairly often. 3:73 gears are a shitload of fun, but not the most practical.

Yeah, and I already know better. Where should I look for 2:94 gears? I can find 3:23’s but no 2:94’s
I answered that above! USED gears…. Sorry, but that’s where you’ll find them. In someone shed, garage, etc….
Man, I live in cali. I need to hit the freeway fairly often. 3:73 gears are a shitload of fun, but not the most practical.
Overdrive is your friend and worth the expense.
See below what 3.55’s and a .69 OD ratio do for you.

76C58289-E2E9-4673-9CE0-9940B1940214.png

I get the best mileage at or below 2000 rom with my stock 318. But 61 mph? Ya I need a overdrive and a 355 or so.

1681159557210.png

you're in a position where you have to make a compromise.

that compromise could be with your gears, losing some bottom end and gaining a lower RPM cruising speed. or with wheels/tires, lowering the R's but changing the look of the car. or with the transmission, going with an OD unit; or a deep gear set 904 variant and the gears out back. or with how much you're willing to endure sound and strain wise.

or, making a pivot and deciding to enact the changes to make this a freeway flyer instead of a street thumper.

so, this ALL involves money. the least amount of money is to live with it. and honestly how often are you driving the car? and how much of that is is at 70+?

the next least expenditure is taller tires. this will take some of the R's off the top, but not like, 1K or anything. but here, it may prove problematic to find the *right* tires for the job, and you may need to swap rims.

after that, in the "easy" column is a lower gear set such as the 2.90's or something.

for me, it's a no brainer. 3.23 SG units are prevalent and easy to obtain, or even just a gear set and have yours rebuilt. more than likely you could find somebody to trade straight across with maybe a little coin in your pocket or a 12pack of something nice.

Thanks guys, I’m gonna put out some feelers for 2:94 gears, and found a set of 3:23’s already. I always heard the 3:23’s were the best all around gears, but I got the 3:73 gears when I bought the rear end. I think I knew better, but damn! I can bark my tires at will as she sits. 3:23’s are the east route. Thank you Gentlemen! I always appreciate your help!

Lots of 2.94 gears in old C-bodies. The housing number really doesn't make a difference if you take the whole thing.

I'd go 3.23, but you also need more carburetor on a 408.

Hi! I have an edelbrock on there, but I’m not getting enough fuel to it! It’s draining the secondaries when you stomp it on the freeway. Fills back up on the street. Weird. I did order 3:23 gears

-
Back