Best Grease Dielectric? For Firewall Connectors

-

RustyRatRod

I was born on a Monday. Not last Monday.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
What would be the best thing to coat the firewall connectors with to prevent corrosion? I cleaned them up good back in 2019, but they got a little green funk back on them again. I've cleaned all that off good, but this time I'd like to use a corrosion preventative. Will good old dielectric grease work or is there a better product? Thank you drive through.

I think the stuff "anti ox" you buy at the electrical supply stores would work fine, and Lowes/ HD probably have it.

First time I saw grease in connectors, was in the 70's selling "Trucklite" sealed truck tail lights and then when I bought that old 78 Ford LTD II the connectors used a white looking grease. If you can find out what Ferd used......

I used dialectic on the bulk head connector, but caught wind that it was only used on grounds.

Propaganda i say.

I use any ignition dielectric grease on all connectors, fuses and light bulbs. Also use lightly on spark plug boots to make them easy to remove.

Corrosion preventative compound works great if you can find it.

1721129004625.png

Product Description​

A highly effective water displacing, non-staining, non-hardening, non-conductive corrosion preventative. Concentrated solution is suitable for avionic equipment and general purpose work. The lower viscosity solution is for use with electronic components. Use on any metal surface such as hinges, machinery, electronic components and all types of metallic sliding parts. MIL-C-81309.

What would be the best thing to coat the firewall connectors with to prevent corrosion? I cleaned them up good back in 2019, but they got a little green funk back on them again. I've cleaned all that off good, but this time I'd like to use a corrosion preventative. Will good old dielectric grease work or is there a better product? Thank you drive through.

This product is graded for Marine use which is a pretty harsh environment.

1721129059267.png

Pros of Dielectric Grease:

1. Prevents Voltage Leakage: Dielectric grease helps insulate electrical connections, preventing voltage leaks.
  2. Corrosion Protection: It shields connections from corrosion, which can extend the life and quality of your battery and other components.
  3. Effective in Frigid Conditions: Dielectric grease remains effective even in cold weather12.
Cons:

1. Not an Electric Conductor: Since it’s non-conductive, dielectric grease can affect the flow of electric current. Be cautious where you apply it to avoid inhibiting current flow23.

Thanks George, I always wondered if it was more a con than a pro.
If I was going to do it, I would use the product Garrett mentions, plug the connectors together and then brush the Marine Grade DE grease on the outside to fill any cracks/voids.
Pros of Dielectric Grease:

1. Prevents Voltage Leakage: Dielectric grease helps insulate electrical connections, preventing voltage leaks.
  2. Corrosion Protection: It shields connections from corrosion, which can extend the life and quality of your battery and other components.
  3. Effective in Frigid Conditions: Dielectric grease remains effective even in cold weather12.
Cons:

1. Not an Electric Conductor: Since it’s non-conductive, dielectric grease can affect the flow of electric current. Be cautious where you apply it to avoid inhibiting current flow23.

Dielectric grease to seal everything up with and no-alox on the spades and terminals.
https://www.amazon.com/30-030-Noalox-Anti-Oxidant-Compound-Squeeze/dp/B000LDE7V4/?tag=fabo03-20

I had a boss that had a 20-car collection. Once a year he would take each car, undo the battery, unplug any accessible harness plugs and spray them with WD40. Then blow them out. At the end of the day he would re-assemble. He did this ever since I've known him. Rip.

Corrosion preventative compound works great if you can find it.

View attachment 1716276826

Product Description​

A highly effective water displacing, non-staining, non-hardening, non-conductive corrosion preventative. Concentrated solution is suitable for avionic equipment and general purpose work. The lower viscosity solution is for use with electronic components. Use on any metal surface such as hinges, machinery, electronic components and all types of metallic sliding parts. MIL-C-81309.

We used that in the military when I was with the Seabees. Good stuff.

-
Back