Best guess on 440 RB motor

-

mopar65

Reaction score
well i hope to make a least one race before the year is up but dont know if i will. so was wondering if you guys think i can run in the 10 with this set up. ok here goes all steel 73 dodge dart that should weigh around 3400 pounds with me in it,
73 440 with flat top pistons compression comes out to 11.3.1
comp solid roller 264 @ 0.050 and 634 lift with 1.6 roller rockers advanced to 104 center line
bowl ported indy EZ stock port heads flow 310 at 600 lift
tti 2x3-1/2 headers
mopar m1 tunnelram with 2 carter comp 750 carbs
727 with a 9.5 dynamtic 5000 stall
8-3/4 with 4.10 gears
M/T 275/60/15 drag radels
mopar 002/003 super stock springs
mopar 50/50 rear shocks
eather calver 90/10 or summit 90/10 front shocks.

so do you think this is enough to get my car in the 10.50 in the 1/4 also if i was to switch to a mopar m1/ victor 440 with eather a 950 holley or a 1050 dominator do you think i will gain or loose anything switching from the tunnelram? i ask this is my carter carbs are giving me problmes and i am tired messing with them. i had 2 out of the box edelbrock 750 carbs that were box stock that ran great compared to these carters.thanks mopar658)

Attachments

• 100_0776%20(Large).jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 373
  • 100_0775%20(Large).jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 376
Bobby, i should run mid 10s fairly easy if it hooks, those carters should be easy to tune, there basically like an eddy carb.

Hey Joe how have you been? good i hope. i agree with what you are saying but i have had nothing but poroblmes with these carbs ever scinse i owned them. from not wanting to idle right to back fireing thrugh the carb. they have done the same thing on my other engine. unless there is something wrong with my tunnelram. but my friend is going to let me borrow my old 750 edelbrocks to compare to the carters.i never had a problem out of them. hey joe do you know if rogersville is still racing? there flyer says they are racing untill the end of this month but some body told me they are closed.but i really hope it runs in the 10.thanks Bobby8)

Hey Joe how have you been? good i hope. i agree with what you are saying but i have had nothing but poroblmes with these carbs ever scinse i owned them. from not wanting to idle right to back fireing thrugh the carb. they have done the same thing on my other engine. unless there is something wrong with my tunnelram. but my friend is going to let me borrow my old 750 edelbrocks to compare to the carters.i never had a problem out of them. hey joe do you know if rogersville is still racing? there flyer says they are racing untill the end of this month but some body told me they are closed.but i really hope it runs in the 10.thanks Bobby8)

Yeah, they should be racing every Sat afternoon through Nov. weather permiting, i'd go if i knew you were going to race your car, on the carters, I'll bet they are lean or you have an excellerator pump problem, a lean condition will spit back/backfire when you give it throttle, thats only if the timing is currect, With those carbs being on a TR i can almost garuantee they are lean if they have the stock jetting/pump shot, you have alot of plenum area too fill across the board, meaning in ALL areas of the metering of those carbs, Idle/off idle/main metering includeing the pump shot. If you have a "pin drill" set or excess to those smaller drill bits, i'd start opening up (on both carbs)each jet to the next size up, all 8 jets & open up the squirters on both F&R, you'de be amazed at the difference, if anything, MAKE SURE the pumps are adj. the same.

that poor 8.75 is gonna hate u!

You should give them more credit, my stock axled 8.75 is still holding up after what 6 yrs. & a solid 275 passes on it, this is a car that runs 10.8s/10.9s, the rearend is "spooled" & that helps alot too, thats why i like useing them.

You should give them more credit, my stock axled 8.75 is still holding up after what 6 yrs. & a solid 275 passes on it, this is a car that runs 10.8s/10.9s, the rearend is "spooled" & that helps alot too, thats why i like useing them.

wow! i always hear that the 8.75 can take alot but i figured once u get into the tens ur pushing it!

wow! i always hear that the 8.75 can take alot but i figured once u get into the tens ur pushing it!

I've witnessed with my own eyes a SB Vega rip the "guts" out of a Dana right at the line, peices everywhere, any rearend can granade. I've never had an 8.3/4 go south, lucky i guess.

That's a good looking engine, The combo sounds solid. But i've read that the foam in those air cleaners tends to collapse as more air gets pulled through them at high rpm, and restricts flow.

I've witnessed with my own eyes a SB Vega rip the "guts" out of a Dana right at the line, peices everywhere, any rearend can granade. I've never had an 8.3/4 go south, lucky i guess.

True,and i saw a dana come apart in a '70 cuda a few years back..as for the 8 3/4 holding up theres guys running in the 9's with them..

That's a good looking engine, The combo sounds solid. But i've read that the foam in those air cleaners tends to collapse as more air gets pulled through them at high rpm, and restricts flow.

I ran V-stacks on mine, the problem with those cleaners is the foam can/will catch fire if a flame hits it, another issue is the foam starts falling apart & going down the engine. I'd install some household metal screen in-between the 2 rings, i'm sure they have a mesh type pattern like a grill so it'll hold the screen in place. For street driving, i'd run 2 round cleaners with K&N type filters.

I ran V-stacks on mine, the problem with those cleaners is the foam can/will catch fire if a flame hits it, another issue is the foam starts falling apart & going down the engine. I'd install some household metal screen in-between the 2 rings, i'm sure they have a mesh type pattern like a grill so it'll hold the screen in place. For street driving, i'd run 2 round cleaners with K&N type filters.

I would just get rid of them so you dont run into any problems.

Attachments

• 108-0803_IMG.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 276
Your engine build sounds great and should run 10,s no problem.The only problem I see is with the 275/15,s(26 inch tire)I think you,ll run out of steam in the 1/4,maybe great for the 1/8 though.JMO

thanks for the guess guys. dont worry i dont race witrh the air cleaners on. they are just to help keep junk out of the carbs when i am hualing the car to the track or just letting it sit. also i had a 8-3/4 center section live in my 3500 pound early b-body that would run 1.41 60 foots and 10.50 at 126-127 in the 1/4. joe i have changed the mettering rods/springs pump lever arms in my carters and still can get it right. i got my old edelbrock 750 carbs back to night and will be putting them on tomarrow. also got my calvert shocks orderd. if it is not raining or snow by next weekend i am taking it to the track to see how it does. i was under the impression that the 275/60/15 was a 28 inch tall tire and the only reasion ii am useing it is because that is the bigest tire that will fit under my car for now. here is a video of my old 65 plymouth with the same intake and carbs that i have now. also i will only be running 1/8 or 1000 ft i dont think ozark race way park will let me run 1/4. i dont have a roll bar in my car yet eather. but thanks for all the guess though so keep them coming. thanks Bobby Miller8)8)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GfA2RHDaOVU"]YouTube - FABO 65 plymouth[/ame]

Bobby, your tires are 28" tall so don't sweat that, I would run a few 1/8 mile & get your times, don't say anything about what it might run in the 1/4, just play dumb, no one's going to ask **** anyways, half the time they ain't paying attention lol (JK), THEN make your last run 1/4 & your good to go, i know the guys that run the track, so all will be cool, just don't forget your helmet LOL. Let me know if you go ahead of time.

what car and weight are we guessing at? if its a 3500 lb. b body i,m guessing 10.90 I have a 4.15 stroke 440 with ported ezs with a 585 solid roller with 4.10 gears and 3800 ptcin my 66 net and hoping for 11.20s out of the box on a 9 inch m/t slick. figure when dialed in it will be a 10.90 car

Man your combo should put you deep into the 10's even high 9's.I would go to the victor intake with the dominator and you would probably run nines.Motor is capable of easily handling 7000 through traps. My 70 cuda weighed about 3200 with me in it with a 451 stroker running iron heads with a ss port job and a comp 625 roller and a 4500 continental converter.I had 4.56 gears and a 29.5 11.5 tire.Ran 10.50's leaving at 3000 on brake with 1.40's 60's.You have a lot more motor than i did.Motor would go through 1/4 at 6800.I shifted at 6300.

thanks guys. well it looks like i am a go for this weekend. the weather is soposed to be nice. daredevil the car i am asking about is my 73 dodge dart. i have never weighed it before but i am guessing with me in it. me weighing 285 pounds i hope it hits the scale at 3400 pounds.at least i hope it does. my sister inlaw is soposed to bring her camera. so along as i dont blow it up on its frist pass. i will try and post some pics of it the end od the weekend. please wish me luck becasue i am going to need all i can get.lol thanks Mopar658)8)

very nice setup, I'm jealous lol.

As for the 8 3/4 thing, a long time friend of ours set one up about 8yrs ago for a BBC chevelle weighing in at 3600 and change it runs consistent 8.30s-.40s. . . . yeah they'll hold quite a bit lol

-
Back