Best header material?

-

dantegray

Reaction score
Is 304 stainless better then ceramic coated headers or vise-versa? Im lookin a buying OBX stainless or Headman headers coated (both are the same b-body headers).

Stainless does rust and discolor some but will last longer than the ceramic coated steel. If you go Hedman in steel make sure its the Ceramic and not the HTC coating, there is a difference.

Do tell Dano! School me please.

I'd do the stainless coated. (Well, if I had money that is! :) )

I think rumble is saying he would coat the stainless. best of both worlds.
corrosion resistance and a thermal barrier

Stainless does rust and discolor some but will last longer than the ceramic coated steel. If you go Hedman in steel make sure its the Ceramic and not the HTC coating, there is a difference.
What's the difference ? I have the tight tube HTC and they still look good after 2 years and 10,000 miles . Why are ceramic better than HTC ?
Thanks .

if you look into a set of stainless, make sure the are a good quality of stainless. Some are being made from a poor quality of stainless that cannot be re-polished after it discolors from heat. Stainless will flow air a lot better than mild steel but, you will also see higher engine bay temps. as well. Mild steel coated will be a lot cooler under the hood because the heat is being held in the inside of the tubes. Witch also helps the air flow a little because the hotter the exhaust gasses are the better they flow. cost is going to be close because of the expense of getting them coated. Hope this helps a little. :glasses7:

Personally I like the discoloration that takes place with SS. I would go SS if it were me.

-
Back