Best headers for 360 in a valiant

-
Reaction score
I’ve got a 74 valiant with a 360 and I’ve got some long tube headers in it now. Maybe hooker long tubes? They work fine but they have such little clearance underneath and scrub on all speed bumps and even the road at times on big dips. Are there any brands that tuck up into the body better or is this just a part of having headers with an a body?

currently being discussed here:

Depending on which Z bar you have, you can add to the bend in it to clear the Doug's headers. We did it on an install in a 72 Duster 340/4 speed car.

@Dillon Crowell
There is a smokin deal on a new in the box set of TTi Shorties in the F/S section and they even come with the Header Adapter Pipes specifically for a 4-speed. They also have bungs for 02 sensors if you want to add EFI later.
I think it’s like $400 cheaper than buying new.
Here

The true solution to this problem would be if header manufacturers would start making A body fenderwell headers again, but that would require frame rail bracing as inner fender aprons are structural components.

The true solution to this problem would be if header manufacturers would start making A body fenderwell headers again, but that would require frame rail bracing as inner fender aprons are structural components.
True, but the big problem (other than the structural issue you mentioned) is that fenderwell headers can really limit your front tire size and turning radius- fine on a drag car but can be a real pain on the street.
But if fenderwells are really what you decide you want, call up Jardine and he should be able to whip you up a set.

Yes, I agree, tire size may be a problem. I have 2 sets already, not sure of the condition after all these years. I’ll find out when I put them on I suppose.

Didn’t know jardine was still in business, you hardly hear that name anymore.

I’ve got a 74 valiant with a 360 and I’ve got some long tube headers in it now. Maybe hooker long tubes? They work fine but they have such little clearance underneath and scrub on all speed bumps and even the road at times on big dips. Are there any brands that tuck up into the body better or is this just a part of having headers with an a body?

Is turning the T bar bolt for extra ride height out of the question?

Did Holley/Hooker or Hedman stop making these?

True, but the big problem (other than the structural issue you mentioned) is that fenderwell headers can really limit your front tire size and turning radius- fine on a drag car but can be a real pain on the street.
But if fenderwells are really what you decide you want, call up Jardine and he should be able to whip you up a set.

True that! Do you have contact information on “Jardine?”
A name I am unfamiliar with.

Jerry Jardine started building headers in 1958 (same year as Doug Thorley)- one of the true forefathers in the sport. My understanding is the original company was acquired by SuperTrapp a number of years ago and now makes mostly motorcycle exhausts.
Now there is Jardine's Header Palace (Jer Jardine V2.0?) that does a lot of one-off stuff, but they still have a lot of the patterns for the old models- an acquaintance got a set for his "day 2" 409 a couple years ago and just raves about them. Since Jere Stahl's passing, it's one of the only places to get them.
No website that I have ever found, but they do have a FB page- Jerry Jardine's Header Palace & J&H Speed | Casper WY
The phone number I had for them is (307) 200-0603 but I'm not sure if that is valid anymore, as I see the number on his FB page is now (307) 234-6499.

I believe they did, but I did not call them. I believe hooker still makes them for big block cars.

8327FFD4-FD1D-4A6F-A8BD-31B18A8B093A.jpeg
Last time I saw one of these stickers on a car was one of Grumpy’s toy’s.

I stuck this one on here when I was 12 or so(55 years ago).

Yeah I was a big Gumpy fan back then up to the first time I drove a 340 swinger, then it was all over. Still I got his autograph in 94 at the US Nationals.

I have tti’s long tube on my 67 with a 360. Slid right in from underneath with 4 speed. Had to clearance the right side of the scatter shield and put shim under the left engine mount.

Four speed is now gone and the 904 slid right in without touching the headers.

They tuck up nicely. Never scraped them. Worth the money.

I already have the front end up pretty far from t bars, going to look into getting bigger wheels and tires which will hopefully help some in the meantime. What are the biggest wheels and tires yall have been able to fit in an a body?

Are there any brands that tuck up into the body better or is this just a part of having headers with an a body?

TTI or dougs. i used to scrape the headmans on my dart on this dip down the road all the time.. put TTI long tubes on it and woudl cringe when i realized the dip was there and i was going too fast. the TTI never hit however fast i was going..

I already have the front end up pretty far from t bars, going to look into getting bigger wheels and tires which will hopefully help some in the meantime. What are the biggest wheels and tires yall have been able to fit in an a body?

Out back, 275/60/15, a 28 inch tire. It’s about the maximum size to get in there EZ. Going larger will require precise measuring. Not all tire manufacturers produce an exact 28 inch tire, or, a 275/60/15. Actual diameters will vary slightly.

Upfront is pretty much a stock tire size plus one to 1 1/2 inches at max. Depending on the exact model of Dave, Ty sizes either very limited or only allowable for a slight oversize. Again, exact tire size and dimensions, and what exact wheel they’re on, allow more or less clearance.

I tried a 26 inch tire on a rally wheel on my wife’s barracuda, and it would rub the fender. And I don’t mean top, I mean down with the damage really occur and screw up the car. I ended up going with the stock tire size and realize that I can go a little bit more diameter, but I have not investigated.

There is actually a topic for tire size. Check that particular section. It may be a sticky post up top. I’m not 100% sure. But the fellas should list their tire size rim size and the offset that we uses on their particular. That should help you greatly.

What diameter? I run a 225/60-15 (26”) on a Valiant Duster. I had to extend the front fender support rod a little and roll the lip just a hair. I’m on 1.03 torsion bars and decently low. Conservative 255 on back but will consider 275’s if I go 3.55 rear. Nothing to do with headers though.

IMG_0779.jpeg
IMG_7555.jpeg

Anyway, TTi shorty’s are where it’s at. Keep an eye on the For Sale section.

Last edited:
-
Back