Best headers for 360 in a valiant

-
What diameter? I run a 225/60-15 (26”) on a Valiant Duster. I had to extend the front fender support rod a little and roll the lip just a hair. I’m on 1.03 torsion bars and decently low. Conservative 255 on back but will consider 275’s if I go 3.55 rear. Nothing to do with headers though.

View attachment 1716268479View attachment 1716268480

Anyway, TTi shorty’s are where it’s at. Keep an eye on the For Sale section.

Have you posted up in the wheels and tires forum under what tires your running so everyone knows what can fit?

Also, what wheel and offset and tire brand are you running?

I actually saw some Sanderson block huggers on marketplace near me for $200. Thinking about just getting those.

Those are power losers though ground clearance is huge.

but that would require frame rail bracing as inner fender aprons are structural components.

On re reading this…. While the inner fenders are indeed a structural part, frame rail bracing isn’t needed. If you’re building a very high powered car, then bracing everywhere should be done.
It’s not needed for a street hot rod.

The amount of missing material is not that large.

Have you posted up in the wheels and tires forum under what tires your running so everyone knows what can fit?

Also, what wheel and offset and tire brand are you running?

Those are power losers though ground clearance is huge.
I’m going to make a post there in a bit, very heavy thunderstorms going on right now so can’t get out there.

Is there anything you can do to limit the power loss or is the pipe just too small?

I’m going to make a post there in a bit, very heavy thunderstorms going on right now so can’t get out there.

Is there anything you can do to limit the power loss or is the pipe just too small?
The header pipe diameter should be sized to the amount of exhaust the port can pump out. A next size in diameter normally doesn’t hurt though you could, combo dependent, loose a little bottom end torque.

The length of header pipe will broaden or shorten low end torque. The shorter the head tubes, the less torque the engine makes. There is also a point of to long of an exhaust tube pipe, which you don’t have to worry about since there are only a very few headers on the market that exceed this general length. The big block fender well headers come to mind. Even more so when used without a collector extension.

Much of this is a build dependent issue.
For a general purpose header, a 1-5/8 will take far of most street engines.
A 1-3/4 will work very well with ported heads and camshafts on the larger side of what a general sized camshaft would use in a street engine.

If this seems a bit broad, it is because there is a huge great area in it’s application as well as a complete lack of your engines information.

I’ll give you my current examples. Both headers are currently wrong on the cars for there application. So, IMO, this is what not to do. The. I’ll tell you why I did it.

Example #1;

1979 Dodge Magnum, 5.9 Magnum short block dead stock. Added components are a Edel. Air gap, 750 cfm AFB, chrome box ignition, Hooker Super Competition headers @ 1-3/4 into a 2-1/2 exhaust.

The stock magnum heads exhaust is better than the LA head but falls short of any decent flow cfm. The pipe is to large and causes a little low end torque loose. This is lightly noticed but has been proven in tests before.

Why do I use this header? Ground clearance! This header is for B and E bodies and is shaped very different than the standard headers. They are closer to a TTI header in looks.

This header is in use with future upgraded camshaft and cylinder head plans. The off idle to 2200 power is ignored with the larger camshaft as well as supporting stall converter, tires and gears.
Then it’s a better package all around.

But as is now, a 1-5/8 would be it.

Example #2;

‘71 Duster, 340, 10.5-1 ratio, CNC aluminum heads, 241/@050 intake camshaft, 3500 stall, 750 carb, 4.88 gears, etc… Headers are 1-5/8.

The header size for this is a bit small, it’s not the end of the world. However a 1-3/4 would be better for the upgraded exhaust port to get the gasses out. With lower focused above 3500, a small tube header is not needed or warranted. In fact, it’s robbing upper power potential.

While the car is also being lightened, its future engine will see the a small solid flat tappet @ 260@050. This would be large for the street. (As well as the current converter being wrong)

Why, it’s temporary. These are my test stand break in headers for new engines. They will be returned to the engine break in stand shortly.

I’m planning on a 4.0 arm stroker. 416+ cubes. This will see a minimum cam mentioned above. The header size will be a more appropriate 1-7/8 tube size with a minimum 3 inch exhaust.
This is a more of a drag motor with minimal street use.

Having to short of a header tube will rob low end torque. While many will use it because of ground clearance, they are missing low end torque.

Longer header tubes make more torque. Short one are more focused on high rpm power production.

In all honesty, I’ll make the purchase of the long tube header every time. I’ll pay the TTI/Hooker super comp or Hedman price every time without batting an eye since I know I’m getting the most and making the best used of a header for power.

The TTI header has been pictured above and I have a set on the wife’s car and a set for an A body. While they are pricey, no doubt! There worth the expense.

A short tube header has its place but IMO, not on these cars. I’m not knocking anyone for using them. But they made a bad choice IMO. However, if there happy, that’s all that counts.

Hugger headers are most often seen on kit car/hot rods like you seen on happy days T. Show or the movie American Graffiti.
Chopped/channeled, tenderness Ford model A and T’s, pick ups, 32 Plymouth’s, etc… these cars are so light, there not going to miss the low end torque.

Having to short of a header tube will rob low end torque. While many will use it because of ground clearance, they are missing low end torque.

Longer header tubes make more torque. Short one are more focused on high rpm power production.

In all honesty, I’ll make the purchase of the long tube header every time. I’ll pay the TTI/Hooker super comp or Hedman price every time without batting an eye since I know I’m getting the most and making the best used of a header for power.

The TTI header has been pictured above and I have a set on the wife’s car and a set for an A body. While they are pricey, no doubt! There worth the expense.

A short tube header has its place but IMO, not on these cars. I’m not knocking anyone for using them. But they made a bad choice IMO. However, if there happy, that’s all that counts.

Hugger headers are most often seen on kit car/hot rods like you seen on happy days T. Show or the movie American Graffiti.
Chopped/channeled, tenderness Ford model A and T’s, pick ups, 32 Plymouth’s, etc… these cars are so light, there not going to miss the low end torque.
I called tti when I bought my headers. I wanted shorties, they were on backorder. The man said “why shorties”? I said “A body hello”! He said “Get the long tubes, they slide right in from underneath and perform much better and you won’t be sorry”. He was right.

Shorties are better than manifolds but not as good as long tubes.
If the inside and outside is coated they brings temps down over just outside coated. Shorties are easy to get the coating uniform on the inside of the tubes.

-
Back