Best heat insulation?

-

1967formulaS

Reaction score
Hi guys,
I've been tuning the cuda today.
I've got fenderwell headers and the heat coming from them is incredible. I have wrapped the headers but the floor and the fenders are getting really hot.
All my temps, timing and pressures are normal.
What is the best heat insulation you guys are using. I need to run some on the floor up to the firewall and on the inside of both front fenders.
I've been looking at dynamat, but it seems it's more of an acoustic dampner than a heat insulator.

I believe that's true. I used "rattletrap" inside part of my car, it's NOT a high temp insulator.

A friend put Lizard Skin ceramic in his Mustang and claims great results. I didn't see or feel it prior to the Lizard Skin but it is cool and quiet now.

thermo-tec brand, seems cheaper than $200 paint.

http://www.autozone.com/sandpaper-a...-foil-thermo-guard-fr-heat-shield/398827_0_0/

its no wonder heat is an issue with headers: each 1 7/8 40" header has about 6.5 square feet of radiant area (per side!) and they typically get 300-650F depending on power output. and thats not including the collector which is under the car.
CHE20070919_0076.jpg

monica__20_wood__4eca399000f59.jpg

To rewake this old thread, what did you end up using? Results?

It’s hard to find something that can put up with that kind of heat for long periods of time. Metal heat shields and lots of venting would be my plan. If you can block enough of the heat with the heat shields, insulating products like dynamat can help. If you try dynamat by itself it may melt and turn into goo under foil.

Rusty advised Kilkmat so I ordered some if that. He lives in GA, now that is some heat. I will post an after install opinion

Georgia isn't really all that hot.... It's moderately hot but add the humidity and it can get fugly...

Georgia isn't really all that hot.... It's moderately hot but add the humidity and it can get fugly...
I guess to clarify, it has been hotter than Lucifers balls everytime I have been there. Hot and humid.

I guess to clarify, it has been hotter than Lucifers balls everytime I have been there. Hot and humid.
How do you know? You been playin with Lucifer's balls?

How do you know? You been playin with Lucifer's balls?
Just a hypothesis I supposed. I know what mine are like in GA typically. Although I will be in the Blue Ridge area for a few days and weather is supposed to be pretty nice

I was reading an old technical manual the other day, it said to insulate from heat, make a paste from asbestos and water. Also, if you're out of powdered sugar, it makes a great substitute for waffles. :lol:

I was reading an old technical manual the other day, it said to insulate from heat, make a paste from asbestos and water. Also, if you're out of powdered sugar, it makes a great substitute for waffles. :lol:
I wouldn't mine the asboestos and water paste as is would be contained, but not if my boy would restore the car some day. Don't need that ground or sand blasted out. That is great idea for waffles though!

Just a hypothesis I supposed. I know what mine are like in GA typically. Although I will be in the Blue Ridge area for a few days and weather is supposed to be pretty nice
It was likely a close comparison. lol

kilmat appears to be geared more towards sound deadening. You'll have to let us know how it does with blocking heat.

kilmat appears to be geared more towards sound deadening. You'll have to let us know how it does with blocking heat.
My Killmat showed up while I was traveling. I will get it in the car soon and see what difference it makes and report back.

We have a wrap we use at work. It’s a fabric that comes in a roll. We use it on 550 degree steam lines.
The best stuff was asbestos.

-
Back