Best/Least Complicated Shifter for Racing

-

plefe

OldSchool
Reaction score
Guys,

I am in my 2nd childhood and realize shifters are of many makes and likes. I grew up using 2spd PG and 4spd trannies, but hope you are able to give me your thoughts. I bought a race car '68 Dart with a big block and 727. The car came with a Hurst ratchet shifter that has already caused me one unfortunate incident I'm sorry to say. In my mind, not knowing how the damn thing works, and I didn't somebody would build such a mechanism for racing, leads me to believe I will not ever want to use the thing. Plans are to move back into a PG tranny as I've been accustom to fast and faster before in my earlier life. In the meantime, I'm going racing but got to get into a shifter that you don't have to think about to use. And honestly, I don't want to think about it. So, what are some of the simplest shifters to use for this tranny

Look into Winters and Cheetah, and there are different gates available depending on whether you have reverse / forward VB

Wow, that Hurst ratchet is pretty fool proof I thought. I had one, but took it out because my wife couldn't operate it, if the need arises she needed to drive it.

I went with a Cheetah, and it is a very simple to use shifter.

Hurst quarter sticks are nice. You can't push them through to third without pulling the lever. Also the hurst v matic is nice. There is 2 modes. When in neutral, if you pull back it's a normal shifter but if you push down in neutral you enter the ratchet mode and ratchet backwards to the gear you need. I would stay away from b&m shifters. I had one and they just seem cheap

Only ratchet shifter to use is the Hurst Pro-Matic, Lift from N and push forward into reverse, and just pull back and down from R to N.

I dont like the gate style so i have no preference there.

Winters and Cheetah are also my favorites. I bought a Cheetah for my truck since it was so easy to get from Summit. It's outstanding quality just like the Winters shifters.

Only ratchet shifter to use is the Hurst Pro-Matic, Lift from N and push forward into reverse, and just pull back and down from R to N.

I dont like the gate style so i have no preference there.

What I run, & I like it.If budget not a concern,Cheetah's hard to beat.

If the pattern is reversed you can use a stock shifter and modify the steps so you can pull from 1-2 then push the button to go from 2-3

X2 on the B&M Pro Ratchet, forward or reverse. So easy even a caveman could shift it.

One caveat you might want to be aware of when buying a shifter is where the cable exits. The cable on the Pro Ratchet/Hurst etc. are generally front exit and can be a little tricky to keep away from heat, etc. There are different length cables available to aid in installation.

As an example, I moved the Pro Ratchet shifter mount in my car back a little and the new location caused the cable to lay right on the headers. I had to switch from their 'Super Duty' (thicker jacket) 5 foot cable to a 4 foot regular cable to keep it off the header tubes.

I know the Cheetah has a rear exit cable, not sure on the Winters or PPP.

X2 on the B&M Pro Ratchet, forward or reverse. So easy even a caveman could shift it.

One caveat you might want to be aware of when buying a shifter is where the cable exits. The cable on the Pro Ratchet/Hurst etc. are generally front exit and can be a little tricky to keep away from heat, etc. There are different length cables available to aid in installation.

As an example, I moved the Pro Ratchet shifter mount in my car back a little and the new location caused the cable to lay right on the headers. I had to switch from their 'Super Duty' (thicker jacket) 5 foot cable to a 4 foot regular cable to keep it off the header tubes.

I know the Cheetah has a rear exit cable, not sure on the Winters or PPP.

i lost a cable to header heat and replaced it but added that heat shield tubing and has never been an issue

yes that fast cat thing is for me too! Cheetah all the way...I have three of them and never a problem. One in a student driven 71 Demon, if they can shift it on the first time out...it must be easy...LOL

Cora Thomas, winning the High School Nationals in the 71 Demon 370". starting off in second gear and running low 12 second/high 11 second passes @ 114-115 mph!

Attachments

• Cora Thomas #2 fall 2010.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 233
I was gonna say womanator would be a good one to ask, but it's too late. Yall done been womanated.

Thanks for all the help guys. The Cheetah shifter seem to get a lot of kudos. Thanks for all your help.

2spd PG still my favorite. We'll get there

Thanks FABO

-
Back