Best Mechanical Fuel Pump

-
The whole fuel system is braided line. The specs of dirt don't appear to be rubber like more like dirt and possibly tiny metal flakes.
Very fine particulate only visable when on the white rag and even then if all added together maybe the surface area of a pencil eraser.

My swinger was doing the same thing. I am running a carter HV fuel pump 3/8 fuel line w a holley 750 double pumper. It would run fine for the longest time and then out of the blue hog up and die. It ended up being the needle and seats in my case, but i did not have particles in my gas. That is probably causing you seats to stick open just a little. It dont take much. I replaced both of mine, readjusted the floats and have put on 500+ miles w no more problems. After a couple of time breaking down in traffic I was getting very angry. Id start w new fuel filter and replace hose from filter to carb and then clean carb, if you havnt already. Best of luck, i felt your pain and i didnt like it. Breaking down in traffic sucks, when you are trying to move your car and have assholes yelling @ you like you broke down there on purpose.

Well I put a gauge inline to the carb and the pump was idleing around 7-8 and sit around 8-9 with rpm. When you let off after reving it it would peak higher for a flash of a second before it would go back down. The needle was wildly eratic and almost a blur to read -non liquid filled gauge-

I bought a new edelbrock 110GPH pump as it was in stock locally. It is nearly identical to the FBo pump including some of the casting numbers.

Put it in the car and sits with a very even 6psi. The needle doesn't fluctuate nearly as bad. Also noticed on the old pump when pushing on the lever it had a slight bit of play while the new one had zero.

Time will tell if the problem is fixed. I opened up the old pump to see what was done to it. The port and polish consisted of a quick touch with a die grinder near the inlet and outlet ports to what might have been some casting flash nothing else was even touched that I could see aside from the rubber gaskets holes having been oblonged to make them line up and a sizeable chunk of the rubber gasket was stuck down near the inlet port.

this might sounda little crazy but have u checked ur fuel for junk cause of the enthenol theyput in it now buddy of mine had same problem does the smoke clear up after u run a little if so check gas for that problem

A fuel pressure gauge will tell you things, even at idle.

A high fuel pressure issue, or a pressure that jumps around a lot can be a big problem.

With a 3310, and the el-cheapo un-damped fuel pressure gauge in the dual feed line you will see the max pressure the pump makes as a spike at idle. That 8 or 9 psi spike should be enough to make you want a pressure regulator.

What happens at higher rpm is a more constant pressure up around the spike numbers. When you start running the secondaries hard, the float drops, and a huge flow rushes through the float valve. When you get off of it, the float valve may have a very hard time shutting off against the high flow / pressure. It does not need to lag much to grossly overfill the secondary bowl.

A pressure regulator will probably solve this.

B.

You should be fine now. Call FBO and see what they say about there "ported" pump. LOL

This problem is common depending on the fuel you are using. It has a lower boiling point. what you need to do is run a return filter with three nipples as seen on the last year carburetored dodge trucks in 1987. One of them is a fuel return This allows for the use of ethanol treated fuel.

I have stated this many times . I learned from experience on mine and customer cars. Even those who think they don't have a problem will notice a increase in fuel mileage. You must keep this new fuel moving so it is not dead ended under pressure at the float.

Advise you can take or not. But why do you think they added this return to the last of the carburetored mopars and many other makes. If you have and electric pump the regulator goes after the carb. as a methanol sprint car is. .

-
Back