Best motor for 69 Barracuda

-

Scar

'69 Barracuda
Reaction score
Need some opinions as to the best bang for buck motor to install in my Barracuda. Thought I would ask the experts.

Something good for about 300hp without too many body mods necessary.

actually 383/400/440/426hemi dont require any "body" mods but do require significant chassis mods in order to get them into the engine bay. k-frame mods/adapters, headers usually, different radiator etc. not impossible but takes time/money.

no body mods required, especially the 383/400 if you use a dual plane lower profile intake you dont even need to modify your hood.

300hp is easy. If that's all I wanted I'd go 340 or 360 (I have a spare 340 in the garage, so that's what I would use). BUT, 400hp is easier and has better street manners with more cubic inches.

The rest of the car would be built that same for me whether I went big or small block. Same brakes, same torsion bars and sway bar, same wheels/tires, etc.

I'm sorry, but I'm gonna say it. 300 HP is a piece of cake with an 8:1 compression 318. If 300 HP is truly what you want, the 318 will do it easily. Or, put in the big block you are dreaming about.

Easiest and cheapest way-360.Have a 69 340 and 69 440,smallblock handles better.360 can be had forlow bucks.Saw a 318 cop car engine-4bbl with trans 450,in Ky craigslist.Don't forget-if you have a 7.25 rear don't go crazy with 300 hp

If money is not too much of an issue what about a 5.7 hemi out of the junkyard??
If I was to redo mine all over that is the way I would have gone instead of my stroker.

i'm sorry, but i'm gonna say it. 300 hp is a piece of cake with an 8:1 compression 318. If 300 hp is truly what you want, the 318 will do it easily. Or, put in the big block you are dreaming about.

x2
318 is practicly a throw away to many get them cheap if all your looking for is 300hp

a basicly stock rebiult 68-72 340 few minor bolt ons would do it. Simple setup to meet your goal Would also make the car more valuable if you ever sell it vs 318 or 360 baised engine

Best motor for a 69 cuda would be a supercharged 572 HEMI with a 6 speed (manual) tranny and a Dana 60 out back (I'd go with 3.54 tru trac gears but 4.10 with work) with mini tubs to flush frame rails 3" inboard spings and at least 325s on the ground. Oh and the motor has to be EFI! Well you did ask what would be best for a 69 Barracuda :twisted:

find a 383hp engine. where the hp is stamp on the block. stock hp is 330-335
then for headers and engine mounts go to engine-swaps.com

So eight months down the line and I still have not decided on a motor.

Would love the 440, but is'nt that overkill? Reading on the net, I worry about poor handling and weight distribution, no place for power steering or brake booster etc...

Perhaps the 360 is the way to go, just dont want any regrets either way. I guess in the long run its cheaper getting 400hp from a 440 than from a modded 360?

I'd go with a 340 or 360 if your worried about cutting it up and weight distribution.

100% 340 or 360. The 360 is going to be easier to find and you can dress it up to look like a 340 if you are interested in a period correct look. No one would know the difference. If you have the ability, the ideal would be to find a mid 90's or so Dodge Ram with a 360 magnum in it and put the fuel injected engine in that car with a really mild cam. Of course you would have to be able to tailor the wiring harness and computer (I think there is someone here that sells a plug and play) and add an electric fuel pump and return. A little more work, but a great setup. That would be a great running car with the convenience of the modern electronics!

I second what Rob says about a Magnum 360. If you wanna keep it simple bolt on a carb intake, get an adapter for the fuel pump eccentric and run a mechanical fuel pump. The 360 is superior to the 340 due to the longer stroke. Longer stroke means more torque. The Magnum 360 already has a roller cam and good heads (check them for cracks). Freshen one of those engines up put a little cam in it and you can make 400 hp easy.

So eight months down the line and I still have not decided on a motor.

Would love the 440, but is'nt that overkill? Reading on the net, I worry about poor handling and weight distribution, no place for power steering or brake booster etc...

Perhaps the 360 is the way to go, just dont want any regrets either way. I guess in the long run its cheaper getting 400hp from a 440 than from a modded 360?

poor handling? are you road racing or cruising?

I'm doing a 440 in my Demon. Power brakes, power steering and AC......

My first 3 Mopars were all B body B/RB engines. You could not pay me enough money to put a B/RB in an A body. I don't have the money for a crate magnum, but with modern LA/ Mag heads, cams, stroker kits and other technology, a SB just makes way way more sense.

i would agree with most of the posts here. if you are looking for a cruiser / street brawler that will drive nice and take a corner decent. stick with the small block.

straight line drag car go Big! lol

that being said my dart was a 493 big block and i drove it on the street but when it came to a corner or parking ha ha i had to plan ahead. turning stunk!

-
Back