Best place to loose the brakes in the family driver's ed vehicle

-

ragtopfury

Reaction score
So some of you may have seen my post about picking up a $1000 Dakota as the family driver's ed vehicle a couple of months ago. It s an '03, 4x4, club cab with 127k miles on the clock. I haven't taken the time to go over the whole underside yet, figuring I would when he actually starts getting drive time on the road. Looks like it is at the top of the list now, when we get back form vacation in July.
I've been taking Josh to empty school parking lots on occasion, as he is getting closer to getting his learner's permit. He is doing well. I have him drive the loop around the building, in and out and around the curb islands, stop before entering "travel lanes", signal use, the whole works. Turns are not jery any more and pedal control is smooth now.
Almost all of you do NOT know that Josh has been helping with the lawn for 2 and a half years on a $90 used riding mower with very sloppy steering and no brakes to speak of unless going up hill. Let's just say that mower proved it's worth in teaching avasive maneuvers, just as I had hoped it would.
4th time around the middle school building last evening, Josh is rolling to the one stop that I always have him make before entering a left parking section. There is a short area that continues straight, as well. He gets to the point where he should stop and says "I'm not stopping. The brake just went to the floor". Having plenty of room for error, I simply observed. He did well. He stayed calm, rather than turning into simulated on-coming and/or occupied space. He put it in neutral, pumped the brake a few times and slowly coasted towards the open area/grass off to the right. We were only going 10 mph, so we didn't roll far and never touched the grass. Coasted to a stop and he put it in park and just looked at me. Well done.
So I told him to get out and find what happened. Left front brake hose has (had) a section of steel line that blew thru. We called his big brother and had him bring us a small pair of vise grips and some brake fluid. I pinched the rubber line closed before the blown steel part, topped off the fluid and drove it home. Pulls to the righ when braking now - LOLOLOLOL DUH!!

In the end, Josh handled it well and later said he guesses he could have applied the parking brake, as well. Good boy! And Jake said it felt good to come rescue me for a change, as I have rescued him a few times. LOL

Good job.
I also teach the youngens to practice stopping with the emergency, to learn what to expect in response to it's application, how to hold the release, so the pedal can be modulated like the foot-brake.
Dry surface at first, and wet when he's proficient
Like all the accessories, you should learn how to use them.
Good luck .

Josh is learning from a great dad! Thank you for taking the time to teach him how to drive. More importantly is the time you spend with him. If we had more dads like you, this country would be a much better place.

Sounds like Josh already knows what he’s doing! Great job Josh!!

Shame on you for not teaching him to make sure the vehicle is safe before driving it. Just proves that on older cars that have not had the brake fluid changed regularly should have the hydraulics replaced.
Like coolant hoses, they corrode from the inside out. Brake fluid is hygroscopic (absorbs water).
And needs changing just like transfluid and coolant every 3 years or 30k mile.

:rolleyes: " I haven't taken the time to go over the whole underside yet, figuring I would when he actually starts getting drive time on the road."

But I did teach him how to band-aid it so I could drive it home and endager all of society around me. I gotta get some kind of points for that..... :eek:

You might mention that he could have also tried stomping the "emergency" brake on the left.

The one on my 01 Cummins is the best I've ever owned. It is a stick, so, no park

You might mention that he could have also tried stomping the "emergency" brake on the left.

The one on my 01 Cummins is the best I've ever owned. It is a stick, so, no park
Yep, and holding the release in release position allows operating that brake pedal similar to the other brake.
I spent hours riding while my granddaughter did the driving. I spent a lot of the time showing her places where accidents happen EVERYDAY! (oops a rant almost started) because of bonehead moves by drivers who just don't get it.
Over 3 years on her own now and not involved in 1 collision. Maybe I missed my calling. LOL
I was the first/oldest and the first to drive. Sister, Cousins, Neighbors, even wife, not only taught but used my Gremlin for drivers test.

So the brakes went out 3 days before the 2 week family vacation. Truck as sat since the 20th. Got home on the 8th of July and left for Carlisle on the 13th. Finally carved out a couple of hours on Tuesday and swapped out both front brake hoses and gave the truck a once-over like I've been wanting to do. Might go out for some more driving lessons after dinner this evening.

-
Back