Best Shipping Option

-

nodemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I need a deck lid shipped from New Jersey to St. Louis... What would be the best shipping option..?

Unless they have reconsidered, Fastenal supposedly no longer ships sheet metal due to too many claims. They will ship engines and drivetrain stuff still, last I heard.

Unless they have reconsidered, Fastenal supposedly no longer ships sheet metal due to too many claims. They will ship engines and drivetrain stuff still, last I heard.
Ah, that's right.... I forgot about that. Too bad as that truly would have been his best option.

There is no cheap way to ship Freight the best I've seen is $350 for FedEx but it has to be banded to a pallet...I used greyhound before...$130

I got a 69 Barracuda fender shipped through Greyhound about 6 years ago.

Using a freight company and building a wooden box for strength especially on the edges helps with warehouse monkeys. They destroy weak packaging is the best best for results the buyer will want. Costly but works.

This more that likely due to poor packaging on the sellers part. I have an established relationship with one of their shipping agents. I’m going to call her.

depending on how much gas is, i almost wonder if you could find a cheap one way and fly in, rent a car (minivan) and road trip it back. maybe find some other folks who need a mule for something along the way to supplement travel and make a long weekend out of it.

depending on how much gas is, i almost wonder if you could find a cheap one way and fly in, rent a car (minivan) and road trip it back. maybe find some other folks who need a mule for something along the way to supplement travel and make a long weekend out of it.
Probably be my first choice, 15ish hour drive (one way), could even do it in an extended weekend if you have a truck already.

Alan

junkyardhero you're a great thinker!!
nah, i'm just a dedicated cheapskate.

all kidding aside, it's more along the lines of: how much does a tank of gas cost and how far will that get me? then weigh that against the hassle of boxing up something unwieldy, what the shipping cost is, the pain in the *** of dragging it to the depot and then wondering if it will get there unscathed.

if i can cover my expenses by making a road trip, help a few other peeps out and make some connections along the way then i'd much rather do that.

i had a deal where i needed to get some parts to phoenix and pick up some stuff in tucson. my buddy needed to get some parts in flagstaff. so he paid for the gas to flagstaff, i just stopped in phoenix along the way and coordinated with the guy from tucson for a day he'd be up that way. by stroke of luck a friend of the guy in flagstaff needed to get a motor and trans to vegas area. i told him i'd do it for gas and cheap hotel night. done deal. the war department flew into vegas and we had a nice dinner and took in a show, then she drove the vegas leg back with me.

gotta think outside the box a little sometimes!

-
Back