Best sounding mufflers for a built 318?

-

Hosstyle

Hoss Milton
Reaction score
Almost finished restoring my 1972 Plymouth Duster & wondering what mufflers you all would recommend? I'm putting a 318 that's bored .030 over and has a Sum-K6901 cam (Duration 276/288, Lift .441/.441). I also have a brand new set of headers that are going to sound amazing.

image.jpeg

I used dynomax super turbos in my stroked 340. No drone at highway speeds. Everyone seems to love the sound except those prudes that think it's too loud.
I honestly don't realize it's so loud. Quieter than flow masters in the cabin

Here's the Super Turbos on my stock 318. I like them a lot. I'll post a u tube link an a minuite.

Sorry poor video and even worse audio.

Best sound...Flowmaster 40 series.
Best flow...Magnaflow Welded.
I would go for flow/performance over sound.

No idea what mufflers are on my Duster but they sounded badass with the 318 that was in it. Real mellow now with the stock 5.9

I have stock manifolds with 2.5 inch pipe and 2 chamber thrush turbo mufflers. I think there is too much cabin noise, and it's a little loud for my liking...

I always liked the sound of the cheap old oval turbo mufflers. They are not chambered like Flowmasters. With chambered mufflers, there is always a drone somewhere in the RPM range. The old style fiberglass matted turbo mufflers are not like that. Although eventually, they do burnout, but that does take years of use. Bout 20 bucks a piece though, so they are well worth it.

Best of both worlds. Quiet and obnoxiously loud. Numbers that match flowmaster noise or sound levels provided by stockers. All at the pull of a button!

I always liked the sound of the cheap old oval turbo mufflers. They are not chambered like Flowmasters. With chambered mufflers, there is always a drone somewhere in the RPM range. The old style fiberglass matted turbo mufflers are not like that. Although eventually, they do burnout, but that does take years of use. Bout 20 bucks a piece though, so they are well worth it.
This....Loved the old Sonic Turbo mufflers... Next would be the old Thrush cvx muffler...
Today? Probably the medium range priced Cherry Bomb turbo muffler... It sounds close to Rusty's sound...

I remember back in the 70s and 80s when we would take one in for exhaust, all he would ask was "you want glasspacks or turbos?" Those were THE only two choices, besides a stone stock muffler.

-
Back