Best street carb ever...old black magic

-
Yes, the TQs have cracking issues. Some carbs do. TQs are not alone; I can't tell you how many Quadra-Jets I've JB-welded cracks in the bottom of the fuel bowls...

Does anyone know where I can BUY a ready to run Thermoquad? I have an original TQ intake off a 73 360 and I'd like to run it. Prefer to buy from a known shop with a reputation to protect (and thus less likely to sell me junk) and price not rivaling a 6 Pack setup...

Thanks,
Ken

Bowls cracking come from excessive heat. For certainly, use the thick OE gasket, not the paper thin one. Do not run it to lean, for this contributes to a hotter running engine.

As fara a new unit ready to run, I can not point the way to one since aftermarket re builders often mix up parts. Even Holley does a noted cruddy job.

Rebuild theTQ yourself. Itis all easy unless you need to rebushthe shafts, in which a machine shop should be able to do this easy.

Nice link!

Thanks!

Now that I am staring at those sweet TQs that have been sitting all alone in a warehouse for 30 years, I am wanting to buy one. They have the 800 cfm one for 300 bucks. The normal one is 125. Sounds like a deal. Guess the 800s are more rare.

I expect they would have to get some new gaskets under the primary pick up tubes and an accel pump. Probably a few rubber parts and a dab of oil.

I have a call in to them to discuss the quality and see if I can get some detailed pictures of an off the shelf unit.

The company is out of Texas which to me means they are solid.

http://stores.channeladvisor.com/AAAAAutomotive/store/search.aspx

I just talked to the folks. They have sold like 100 of their TQs. He sold 10 this morning to the new england area. The fellow I spoke with was quite knowledgeable about TQs. They say the TQs have been in a temperature controlled warehouse and are ready to run. He has not had any reported issues with bolt on and run with very minor adjustments. I asked several times about any gaskets drying out/ rubber parts needing replaced. Only negative feedback was a guy who bolted on motor home that had been sitting for years and had major trash / varnish in the fuel.

Also, the 800 cfm he only has a few of those, so they cost more.

The 800 cfm unit was the less produced unit. First, early on, on smaller displacement engines, IE 360/340 and then later with heavy polution controls on the 360 and 400's.

Find the ealriest model possible in the larger primary you can for "Pumped up" engines. The smaller primary units are great for stock or minor modification's made to small engines. These smaller primaries are excellent for mileage. Should install a smaller primary carb on a mild modded engine, the performance will suffer. And you will note it well.

-
Back