Best street tires?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I `ve got BFG T/A radials on my car now and I`m not exactly crazy about them. I`m thinking about going with a wider, lower profile tire in the front and I`d like a good all around performance tire. Any suggestions? What are you guys running?

I have Cooper 265/50/15's, they look good and around the same price as the T/A's.
I like them, but are they better than BF Goodrich? I can't really say for sure?

Mine don't even have a brand name on them, they just say 185/r15. they are small, black, and round so I'm good with it lol

If you are staying with 14" or 15" wheels I don't think you will find anything better than the BFG Radial T/A. If you go bigger on the the rim then you open up a world of tire choices.

FWIW, I have 215/60-15 on the front and 255/60-15 on the rear of my 68 Cuda and for a fair weather daily driver I am quite happy with the tires.

I'm running BFG T/A 235/60-15s all around on the Demon. As a tire line, I've been happy with them and have run them on my cars and truck for more than fifteen years. The Dart came with 185/70-14 Goodyear Integrity that are going to be replaced by a 205/70-15 of some sort as soon as the Goodyears wear out.

Just for grins, I checked the 235/60-15 size tire over at Tirerack.com and found that the Indy Firehawk 500 has been getting better reviews than the T/A. Especially telling was that a greater percentage of Firehawk owners would buy again than T/A owners would.

One of the things we face as a group is the fact that high performance tires are moving up in rim diameter. Back in the day, there was no problem finding a V or H speed radial in a 14 or 15 inch size. The T/A, Firehawk, and Eagle GT are "All Season" tires with a S speed rating. That means that there are trade-offs in tread design and rubber compound that compromise the more dynamic aspects of performance for better wet traction and increased tread life. All the same, the current generation of muscle car size radials are far superior to the Wide Ovals, Tiger Paws, PolyGlas tires of four decades ago.

IMO, look at the weather you drive in and the streets you drive on as you consider your choices. Wet weather suits a more open tread pattern and potholed streets play havoc with super low profile tires. The higher profile tire also tends to ride better at the expense of handling. That's one of the reasons I'm choosing a 70 series tire for my daily driver Dart. I live in a first world city with third world streets.

I `ve got BFG T/A radials on my car now and I`m not exactly crazy about them. I`m thinking about going with a wider, lower profile tire in the front and I`d like a good all around performance tire. Any suggestions? What are you guys running?

That's why I call them BF Bananaskins.

Terry

Ive used the Good Year eagle GT2s are really like them. They are actually the only Good Year Tires I have ever liked.

FireSton FireHawk/Indy500s are good, So are the Cooper Cobra/Mickey Thompson Radials.

indy 500 firehawks on the rear and firestone firehawk gt's on the front. i dont think theres better street tires out there

I`m finding what dgc333 mentioned, the 15" size is an ancient diameter evidently and simply going to a 16 opens up a huge array of tires.

I like the cooper cobra gts. I run them on my Duster and have had no complaints. There pretty good in rain too.

I`m finding what dgc333 mentioned, the 15" size is an ancient diameter evidently and simply going to a 16 opens up a huge array of tires.

I agree with this statement. I like the performance advantage of a 16 or 17 " rim. However, I cannot say much right now because I only have 14's on my cuda...but, when I finish rebuilding the front suspension with disc brakes, I'm gonna try to run 17's....

-
Back