Best Top 10 Bolt Ons For a 318

-

Dan the man

Reaction score
On a completely stock 318, 2 barrel carburetor and single exhaust what would be the top 10 most popular bolt ons?

1. chrome valve covers,
  2. chrome air cleaner,
  3. 318WR sticker on the air cleaner (oops, that don't bolt on)
  4. chrome dipstick,
  5. chrome alternator,
  6. Yellow spark plug wires
  7. red distributor cap
  8. Yellow coil
  9. Chrome fan
  10. chrome breather cap

Most popular, or most effective?
318WR nailed the most popular- the most effective is another ballgame entirely.

For me,it would be
Heads,intake,carb,headers,ignition.
Then,air cleaner,valve covers,alternator,brackets and you know,the thing.

Turbo ...... :)
Or two.
It worked for me.

20170830_183843.jpg

Bolt on a hook and use it for a boat anchor…..lol! Just playing.

improve fuel, exhaust and timing.
But without knowing condition of the engine that question is hard to answer. Anything above stock on a engine needing a rebuild will be in vain.

Seriously, add compression and a good set of heads.
Will it be fast no, but it will be faster than stock.
Or boost it, but that adds more issues.
Regardless, a stock 318 is what it is, just a basic people mover, I have done the 4 bbl, headers, gears etc. It is cheaper to put in a bigger engine.

Cam (I like what "used to be" called an "RV" cam) AKA somewhere between a stock 360-2bbl cam-COMP 260-stock 340 regrind or so
Double roller timing set (Ive taken a liking to the Edelbrock "true roller")
4 bbl intake and carb (stay away from Holley) and resultant needed air cleaner to fit the 4 bbl
Lean Burn Ectomy if it applies
either a set of "302" or "714" heads mildly ported, mostly clean up the leftover bad casting remnants.... the current 302s I have are worst in the oil drainback area (yeah I know that area doesnt help performance.... but if it prevents me from laying my fingers open while setting them on/ in place, it helps MY performance)
or even a set of uncracked Magnum or EQ heads with needed altered length pushrods and Magnum-derived rocker gear
DRIVE THE HELL out of IT!!!!! !

The last 318 I did was a HUGE noticeable improvement over stock, was in a D250 that I used as the truck it was!!!!
My son just "bought back" that D250 from my cousin, and that same 318 is going into his C body wagon at least temporarily...... and he WILL beat on it.....

Seriously, add compression and a good set of heads.
Will it be fast no, but it will be faster than stock.
Or boost it, but that adds more issues.
Regardless, a stock 318 is what it is, just a basic people mover, I have done the 4 bbl, headers, gears etc. It is cheaper to put in a bigger engine.
I wish that I could split this post and rate the "THANKS"/"LIKE"/"DISAGREE" to different parts of it.
I'd disagree with the "cheaper to put a bigger engine in", and "LIKE" the rest.

A lot can be changed with a mild cam, dual exhaust maybe headers, some sort of 4bbl AKA 360 spread bore intake is cheap, and recurve the dist. Then get on gearing and stall, suspension, tires, etc

the only thing youll accomplish is spending even more $$ at the gas pump.
I'd rather have a 318 any day over "most" 360s
No that ain't true. Sorry. You might be right about economy, but a 360 changes a LOT of things

I know one thing, this would have to rate as one of the top 10 most pointless, boring threads..
Get some fuzzy dice and call it a day.

No that ain't true. Sorry. You might be right about economy, but a 360 changes a LOT of things
not the ones I have had
the worst thing Mopar did for the 360 was the dished pistons on every damn one of them.... why did they have to castrate them like that?

Ive had a handful of gutless gas sucking pigs of 360s over the years. sometimes in same vehicles that later got 318s...

not the ones I have had
the worst thing Mopar did for the 360 was the dished pistons on every damn one of them.... why did they have to castrate them like that?

Ive had a handful of gutless gas sucking pigs of 360s over the years. sometimes in same vehicles that later got 318s...
In all fairness, my 360 with dished pistons, bone stock heads, little less than a 360 4bbl cam, stock 360 manifolds ran 13.9's consistently with 2.45 gears. I'm not sure what LA 318 does that.... (I've since changed things)

Halifaxhops advance curve if you don't do it yourself. Duals next. Leave the 2 barrel on there and enjoy the 18+ mpg.

-
Back