Best way to fix this rust?

-

jrlegacy23

68 Barracuda
Reaction score
I have rust in an odd spot in my dart. It looks as if the trunk seal is not working properly and the moisture caused surface rust on both sides, inside the trunk where it is circled in black. It had actually rusted through (circled in red). The metal is not thin, and the spot that rusted through is still strong. I am going to cut the small rusted out piece out and replace it. What is the best way to tackle the surface rust in the trunk?

rust.jpg

I always go at rust like that with a paint/rust stripping wheel on an angle grinder. (I don't like wire wheels and how they can gouge the metal and stab me with flying wires :( ) Followed with either rustoleum rusty metal primer or rust reformer then the top coat of your choice.

Wire brush it then hit it with some Ospho or similar rust converter then paint after you patch the hole.

Thanks for the info, I used a screwdriver to "dig" at the hole a little today, not too bad, this is what I came up with:

rusthole.jpg

I have a hunch lookin at that last pic your gonna find a bunch of surprises when that paint comes off.

^ A agree with this

It looks like someone sprayed your car white without doing much prep work or cleaning the paint/rust underneath. Seeing as the wiring and filler neck in there are sprayed over as well it doesn't look the painter gave two s**ts about the work he was doing.

^ A agree with this

It looks like someone sprayed your car white without doing much prep work or cleaning the paint/rust underneath. Seeing as the wiring and filler neck in there are sprayed over as well it doesn't look the painter gave two s**ts about the work he was doing.

You should see under the hood, it is still green, but not the factory green, more of a rattle can hue. All the wiring and anything mounted to the fenders and firewall were also painted green. I plan on dealing with everything as I get to it. I do not think there are too many surprises on the body, my cousin is a professional body man and looked at it for me, prior to buying it. He was not impressed with the quality of work done on it, but he thought it was in good shape still, and he is doing all the body work for me at adiscounted price.

When the car was painted, it looks that the seam between the 1/4 panel and the tail light section was not properly sealed or painted. Water lays in the seam, rusts it out and water and intrudes into the trunk.

At least it is easy to get at.

I used a rust treatment from NAPA, it came out well. In the first picture, I wire brushed (on a drill) the rust. Then in the 2nd pic I put a thin coating on, then another thin coat 15 minutes later. Then I took the last pic after it cured for a couple hours. I was impressed how it reacted with the rust.

clean rust1.jpg

close 1st coat.jpg

finished.jpg

I definitely like the chemical reaction. I was not expecting much but I am happy with the turn out. You can even paint over it once it cures.

-
Back